Porches?

B

Burd

image.jpeg
I miss the porch I put on my last house, this one will be nicer wen I redo some things. Good place to have a coffee in the morn.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We have a large porch on the front of our house that we used to use all the time, but since we built a deck on the back, we tend to use that much more.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I love my porches and decks and added one to the guest house and was mad the view from the guest house is even nicer than the view from my front porch .That porch is farther back and higher up .Then I get mad because the guy who did the basement for my house put it where it was not supposed to go .It was clearly marked and 15 feet back farther than he put it .That is what you get when you are in NJ and the house is in VA .So get what you want or you will be sorry later .I have wood in the back but the big view is out front

B

Burd

The ceiling is run the wrong way with bad butt joints, I. Going to run white vinyl bead board the short way and do 2 can lights, the light now looks like an interior light. I just realized, my Flag isn't up.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
My back deck becomes my favorite living space during the spring/summer months then goes dormant in the fall. It's a sad sight to look out at snow covered chairs and planters.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
To me winter means rest and relax ,well not the last 2 years since winter has been so mild here .

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I dislike porches due to mosquitoes from the pond.
Fish should eat their larvae and if you have air borne mosquitos (ones that are in the adult stage) then just swat them down until you finally kill them. End of life cycle, no more mosquitos.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
plant mosquito repelling plants .Bat houses help keep bats near by .I love watching the bats fly around .With all the creeks and water laying in the ditch's and no mosquito's here

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
plant mosquito repelling plants .Bat houses help keep bats near by .I love watching the bats fly around .With all the creeks and water laying in the ditch's and no mosquito's here

I brought 3 citronella plants that will now have a place on our porch.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I brought 3 citronella plants that will now have a place on our porch.

I always hated the smell of citronella oil, candles, etc., but this year I bought a citronella plant and I love the smell of it. So much nicer than the others.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I thought those didn't actually repel mosquitos?

You are right! The “citronella plant” is not the plant that produces citronella oil – the active ingredient in citronella candles. Testing shows that the citronella plant does not repel mosquitoes. In fact, mosquitoes seem to enjoy sitting on the plant. Citronella oil is extracted from various species of lemongrass (genus Cymbopogon). This is a perennial clumping grass that grows to a height of 6 feet.

Cymbopogon-citratus-lemongrass.jpg

Cymbopogon citratus – lemongrass
Source: gardenmyths.com

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crystal8899

Latest Threads