Possible filter design

Reaction score
Just asking, has anyone considered using a swimming pool sand filter lateral in a Skippy style barrel filter?
The irrigation tubing or 1/2" pvc would stand straight up, in my case 30" lengths, and be bundled to fill the area of the barrel.
This would eliminate dead spots and channeling. the sand filter lateral would provide a gentle even upward flow. See the drawing: number 6 is the lateral assembly the 10 tubes that extend out from the hub have hundreds of holes in them for even distribution of water.

with simple mechanical filtration in front of this cleaning of the biofilter would be perhaps unnecessary or very easy to backflush.

Attachments

• Sand Filter Lateral.jpg
    Sand Filter Lateral.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 420
Reaction score
Just asking, has anyone considered using a swimming pool sand filter lateral in a Skippy style barrel filter?
The irrigation tubing or 1/2" pvc would stand straight up, in my case 30" lengths, and be bundled to fill the area of the barrel.
This would eliminate dead spots and channeling. the sand filter lateral would provide a gentle even upward flow. See the drawing: number 6 is the lateral assembly the 10 tubes that extend out from the hub have hundreds of holes in them for even distribution of water.

with simple mechanical filtration in front of this cleaning of the biofilter would be perhaps unnecessary or very easy to backflush.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
wow thought i answered this, we (if we do a filter besides the bog) are going to use a swimming pool filter, they back flush wonderfully and should work great.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
wow thought i answered this, we (if we do a filter besides the bog) are going to use a swimming pool filter, they back flush wonderfully and should work great.

Reaction score
addy1,

Yes you did already answer and I thank you for that, however, it's not a swimming pool sand filter it is only the lateral from inside a swimming pool sand filter. I was a little confused by your answer now I know it was due to the misunderstanding.

Reaction score
addy1,

Yes you did already answer and I thank you for that, however, it's not a swimming pool sand filter it is only the lateral from inside a swimming pool sand filter. I was a little confused by your answer now I know it was due to the misunderstanding.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
well that happens when you quick read ........lmao I have a pool with a sand filter, so i missed the lateral from inside, just saw the pool sand filter, we would not use the sand part, it would clog way to fast with a pond.

Thanks got it now.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
well that happens when you quick read ........lmao I have a pool with a sand filter, so i missed the lateral from inside, just saw the pool sand filter, we would not use the sand part, it would clog way to fast with a pond.

Thanks got it now.

Ask a Question