possible issues of going from no stock to lots of fishstock?

Reaction score
hey all, i sent my parents out to get some goldfish or something of the like, to make sure the ponds going to be ready for bigger and better things (like koi).

Just recieved a text today, and after going to blagdon water centre, she has bought 5x small shubumkins, 5x small comets, 5x 3-5" koi carp, and an 8.5" koi carp.

Im worried as the ponds only been running since mid april with no life inside, this maybe too big a step in one go. The lillys and weed hasnt taken proper growth yet, and the filter hasnt had any real ammonia yet to get the bacterial stage properly running.

They are home in bags floating on the surface so im told getting temp ready (so are going in regardless), any advice for the next two or so weeks for my parents to keep things going. Already warned them to feed regularily as there wont be any natural pond food dotted about.

cheers

Reaction score
Well, it's always better to start slow and introduce a few fish at a time and see what happens, make sure water parameters are good.

Let's see how it goes!

Based on the size of your pond, I would not buy one more fish. By the time they grow out, that's a fairly large load.

Ask a Question