Possible Leak?

Reaction score
How much drop in water level is acceptable? We just turned on our waterfall and there may be a bit of splashing..but it seems to have dropped about an inch. I'm still monitoring it, but had a question...the pond is probably about 1500-2000 gallons and has 4 4in koi/shubukin, 6 tadpoles, and 4 snails... (just bought them all!) and put some plants in as well (lilies, pekering?, some grass, and something else sorry forgot the names). How long can we turn the pump/waterfall off for since it's now inhabited? So that we can see if it's the splash out or if there's an actual leak.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Ibn summer evaporation depending on where you live can be quite alott splash out you would see surrounding your waterfall wind can cause your pond to evaporate as can the sun however not having a waterfall on my pond I cant answer that for you just tell you wwhat causes in some cases quite considerable evaporation from ponds .
Perhaps one of the guys with a waterfall can come in here ?

Dave

Reaction score
How long did it take for the water to drop one inch? The first thing to do is mark the current water level and turn off the pump. If you have a leak in the pond, the water level will continue to drop. If the water level stops dropping, the problem is in the pump/filter/waterfall system.

Reaction score
It rained a lot last night and by this morning we had lost the water we gained. If I do shut off the pump, how long will the pond be Ok since it has a couple of living things in it now?

Reaction score
First things first, realize that when you turned on the waterfall, you now have all that water in the hose, whatever basin is at the top of the waterfall, and whatever water is flowing down the waterfall, out of the pond. So you could see an immediate drop if that is a good amount of water. I think you could leave the pump off for about a day. Can you just take the hose off the pump and let the pump circulate water in the pond? That would be much better.

Reaction score
Yes, we did notice an immediate drop in water level...then we topped the pond off from a garden hose. Then it stormed as well. In the morning the water level still had dropped about an inch. I think I'm going to turn the pump off tonight or just disconnect it from the hose and see if there's any change in water level in the morning or after work tomorrow....wish me luck!

Ask a Question