Possible return to ponding....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 7a
Country
United States
I used to have a pond about 10 years ago. I dug it by hand and built a skippy filter and kept Koi and lilies in it. I loved it but had to move and turned my home into a rental property so the pond had to go. Since then I have not installed another pond. I am looking at a home which has an established pond with Koi and plants.

It looks like a decent setup with a bog filter and a stream running down a hill into the pond feature. The current owner has some large koi over 2 ft in the pond and a few smaller ones as well. To my eyes it looks over stocked but the fish look healthy and happy. I believe the long stream and large bog are effectively filtering the system. All told it has a huge amount of surface area for filtration.

I might have to rework the pump system because it has an in pond pump and it does not look to be an efficient one. Intially I will leave it alone because you shouldn't fix what isn't broken.

If I purchase the home I will most likely look to re-home some of the fish in order to keep the bio load down and make the pond less crowded. Here is a few pics of my old pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would find out what kind of liner and how old the liner is also .Do you know the depth or gallons of the pond or the size .Questions the owner could answer would help you a lot

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
You had a real nice pond. You will have to show us pictures of the new pond if you get the house.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 7a
Country
United States
I would find out what kind of liner and how old the liner is also .Do you know the depth or gallons of the pond or the size .Questions the owner could answer would help you a lot

Yeah I checked out the liner and it looks like 45 mil EPDM. I have to get the info from the current owner on the specs on the pond. For me the big one is the liner. I need to know its type, age and MIL so I can determine how much life is left in it.

Here is a pic of the "possible" new pond. The bog filter is above the juniper.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I hate those shrubs to many places for snakes and varmints to hide .Lived on a farm most of my younger life and never bit by a snake in NJ and move to VA and bitten by 2 snakes so far in 12 years :mad: .Did I say I hate snakes now

Ask a Question