Possible ulcer from spawning?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
One of my big females has been resting at the bottom and then swimming fast to the surface and jumping out of the water, sometimes 4 times in a row. At first I didn't notice anything else unusual about her. I did find eggs shortly after finding her and 3 others is my edge-less skimmer pool (picture attached, the pool is the part with the white batting in it) and assumed maybe she was watching over eggs at the bottom. But today I saw something on her side, waited till she was sleeping to catch her and found these marks on her side. I am thinking things got rough in that small pool while they were breeding and she got some bad scrapes?

~Pond has been running since about 7/17
~Added 13 goldfish between 5" and 10" (saved from a friends basement tub) on 9/8
~It is about 11'x'16'x3.5',
~Filtration is a 2ft edge-less skimmer into a 7'x9'x4.5' basin, holding a 5100 gph pump and a 1100gph pump. Big pump feeds the pro-line 5000 waterfall box with bio-stars and a medium dense foam pad and travels down a 30ft stream back to pond. Small pump feeds a 10'x3'x1.5' gravel bog currently lightly planted and back into the pond.
~Water temp is 71
~Iron filtered well water used, no additives or conditioners, no water changes since adding fish

I'll post updated tests in a few minutes, wanted to get these photos up asap.

Attachments

• IMG_0862.JPG
    IMG_0862.JPG
    175.1 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_0863.JPG
    IMG_0863.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_0771.JPG
    IMG_0771.JPG
    195.9 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_0773.JPG
    IMG_0773.JPG
    311.3 KB · Views: 272
Reaction score
Sorry I can't help but I sure do like your set up! But I will be watching the responses so I can learn. I'm glad I'm not the only one with a kitty litter box on my work site!!!! Mine have smaller rocks sorted in them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I think it looks like it could be a spawning injury, especially since you found eggs and her location when you found her. One of mine was badly beat up from spawning and I made sure to do a big water change after spawning and tried to keep very clean water while she was healing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Wow fast responses! Thank you both! Oh yeah, several kitty litter buckets with small rocks in them on site ;)

Test results, using API liquid test kit all calibrated within 6 months (I have many aquariums).
pH - 8.4 (my ph is always high after off gassing)
KH - 6
GH - 5
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5
TDS - 130

More pictures before I returned her to the main pond, for now. She fought me a little on these ones, I was pleased. :) her other side is completely fine.

I think I will do a water change tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_0865.JPG
    IMG_0865.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_0866.JPG
    IMG_0866.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_0867.JPG
    IMG_0867.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_0868.JPG
    IMG_0868.JPG
    211.7 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_0870.JPG
    IMG_0870.JPG
    175.1 KB · Views: 276

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I had a nice 14" DOISTU (scaless) SANKE jump from the net as I was bringing it to the surface for a customer. it landed between the plywood my filter sets on and the rough splatter finished basement wall took out a quarter sized chunk out of its side... 10 days of antibiotic food, and kept in 20 gal of fresh daily water with an airstone.... you cant even really see a scar now you gotta really look. (a month later). this pic was taken after about 2 weeks. you can see the area on the down side behind his pectoral fin up in the white in front of the first larger black spot. there was a nice chunk of meat gone!

009 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at the vent area of your koi I'd say you have some sort of internal bactrial problem going on with this female , when the vent area is that red it indicates your koi has an internal bacterial infection of some sort going on which needs to be treated either by injection or an antibacterial Medicated food do you a accessto medicated foods ?
Is there a koi dealership in the neighbourhood or better still an AKCA (Associated koi clubs of America ) koi health official ?.
Ok the wound on the side of your koi its really hard to see the wound with the photo's you've so far taken , can you anethatize her for us to get a real close up look at the external damage of the koi i;e the possible ulcer site..
The internal infection needs to be acted on asap the sooner its on meds the better.
I take it your koi have spawned in your pond water and not a seperate QT pond or fascility if thats the case when did ypu do a water change as the act of spawning causes havoc with your perameters

IMG_0870.JPG

Hope this helps you some

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Thanks koiguy And Dave. She is a goldfish btw. I have moved her to a QT tub today. I am on the hunt for medicated food. If I can convince someone to hold her I can get better photos, I am the fish wrangler And the photo taker in the house.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Thanks for the recommendation, that is what I wanted to get, found it at DrsF&S but don't want to wait a week for it. Going out now to see if any local places have something, wish me luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
She is not eating it. :( I tried 3 times, left her with it, watched her hover right over it, nothing. I did do a big water change just now though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Try adding a little garlic to the food it normally gets them eating again , a bit like cats to catnip are koi to cgarlic my friend :happy:
It helps stimulate the appetite of the koi and also helps protect it against parasites .
Is the QT fasility you have connected up to a filter system , if not this might be why your fish is refusing to eat as it effectively living in its own loo which will mean your water is steadly becoming toxic to your koi.
Go to the health food store and buy a bottle of oil of cloves , with this we can anethatize your koi so that you can takea shot of the ide you suspect an ulcer growing by following our thread on the subject its a farely simple proceedure see thread thus by doing this we relieve alott of stress (each photo you've taken with her concious add's to her already overstressed state :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/anethatizing-you-koi-goldfish-the-various-stages-of.10493/

But we arent picking holes in you my friend, far from it we all make mistakes and its from them we advance up the learning ladder and believe me when Val and I say this ," Even after 27 years keeping koi we are still learning, in this hobby you will never stop learning"and thats a fact :happy:
Going back to your female koi and where you found her I've a feeling may mean she has tried to escape from amorous attentions of the male koi and you misread the situation by leaving her where she was in too shallow water .again not you fault but a major lesson learned for the future .......Spawning is tough going on the female koi especially with two or three males in hot persute .
Because of this they will get physical damage i;e split fins scales dislodged etc stressed out to the nines and totally exhusted.
Female it has been whitnessed before that female koi have been forced from the water by males. they have also been known to jump from a pond to escape these advances and even die from the effects of spawning :( .

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Thanks again Dave. But again, she is a goldfish. :) I did soak some food in garlic yesterday, no luck yet though.

I am sure the males chased her in there, I've seen them do it before, little buggers. I did not ever leave her in there though, I removed her as soon as I found her there. I have rearranged to skimmer opening to stop them from getting in there, so far so good.

The QT tank has a seeded sponge filter from a healthy aquarium. I always keep one or two spares running in case of these situations. I am also doing very large water changes everyday. QT tank is about 50-60g too, try to give as much volume as possible. I also have big pvc fittings that I boiled to sterilize in there to give her a place to hide.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Hello again. She has been eating the medicated food, Microbe-lift legacy koi and goldfish food, for 2 weeks now (max it says to feed) and she doesn't really look any better, maybe a little less red. She is much more active now though. I can't find clove oil locally, and am worried about drugging my animals, so I can't get good pictures. Not sure what I should do now.

What I have been doing...
50g tank with seeded sponge filter, heater keeping is in the 70s, a couple big pvc fittings
Daily 85% water change and waste removal (boy goldfish poo a lot!)
2-3 feedings a day

Ask a Question