Possible?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
My ponds for the first 38 years were all 18" or less deep. My current deep pond is 30".
That said, deeper is better, but not required, unless you are where it is very cold and you get deep freezes.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I am 2 ft on my top pond and go from 2 ft to 3 ft on lower pond . I think its enough here

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
a foot long koi is no where near a full grown koi. i have 2 dozen koi 10" and up in a 6'x6' 2' deep pond in my basement. 35+ in total, but at 2' long, i would not be able to support them in that enviroment. you can keep a couple in that size pond to full maturity if you compensate the lack of pond size with high volume, quality filtration,and lots of circulation. by the way thats 540gallons

Reaction score
im 5'x5'x2.5' deep but where im from it doesnt freeze...ive seen a 2.5 foot koi come out of a 100 gallon pond...and it was raise from a 5inch fingerling

Reaction score
Bacolod City, Negros Occidental, Philippines
Thanks koiguy1969 and c2c7390! A new problem crept up though = I used to feed my Koi pellets which sink. But since I read overwhelmingly that these fishes should be fed with floating feeds, I myself shifted to such floating feeds. The problem is, after shifting to the ones that float, it seems that the koi are unable to recognize that they are being fed!! they just ignore them. what's up with that? :grumble:

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
When they figure it out they will eat it...start with a mix of the two.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Here in Tacoma we are over run with urban racoons. To have a pond here, the pond needs to be a minumum of three feet deep, or be caged in either by netting, or some kind of fencing the coons can't climb over.

I would imagine if Koi were to live in a natural habitat, they would be happier in a body of waterwith some depth to it. Just trying to think like a fish.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Julius Leonid Maestral said:
Thanks koiguy1969 and c2c7390! A new problem crept up though = I used to feed my Koi pellets which sink. But since I read overwhelmingly that these fishes should be fed with floating feeds, I myself shifted to such floating feeds. The problem is, after shifting to the ones that float, it seems that the koi are unable to recognize that they are being fed!! they just ignore them. what's up with that? :grumble:

When they get hungry enough, they will figure it out.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
and bonding with your fish is another benefit, they grow to recognise you and will come to greet you as you approach, even get excited to see you, or the food anyways.

Ask a Question