Post Best Koi Ponds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would suggest to anyone here to go to a koi show in your area and talk to people that have koi in the show and ask them about koi husbandry and the size and setup of their ponds. Our town, koi club are koi show is very small and up till this year we would allow no one outsde of our club to enter. in the beginning of this club it was for watergardens
but more and more people wanted to have koi so we became a koi and wartergarden club.
And now all members know the difference between the two.
As for the talk about UV's they can do more than kill algae.
I'm not saying you need a big koi pond but I will say there are a lot of watergardens that should not have koi in them. So if your building a pond for koi do that, If you want a watergarden for koi, build it for koi and then for a watergarden.
As for size it's pretty easy to get koi over 30". I will admit that some koi grow quicker than Gosanke's like Chagoi's and Asagi's I've seen a chagoi over 40" and there was one in england that was hugh it was over 4' and weighed 90 lbs.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Were on the same page ...we have some that have garden ponds and some that have koi ponds, And it makes a nice blend.. every one has to start some were...and like your club started for watergardens and grew to Koi..
We have a blend too..I am going over the eadge to the Koi side..
But we are still a garden pond & koi forum
we all want clear water and keep trying to get it, that is what keeps us together.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I know this is a watergarden forum Which is great the pond I posted here was a watergarden koi pond but for me koi and plants didn't work out as planned when my first 4" koi grew up.
A few years ago it was easy to maintain but as I bought more koi and they started growing it is a job keeping it maintained. 25% water changes twice a week and filter cleaning. Big koi make a lot waste. Take about 30 #2 pencils cut them into 1 1/2" to 2" pieces and that would be close to what I get each day.

Ask a Question