POSTING WATER QUALITY & GENERAL POND INFO

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Not suggesting we do this, but interesting idea....

I was researching an injury and came across a forum where they apparently require [request?] posters to cut & paste and fill in the following information (which I have cut & pasted) whenever they post about a problem. Don't know how practical it would be, and can see where it might turn folks away. But it's not a bad idea in theory. Just thought I'd share.

[replace "tank" with "pond"]
CUT AND PASTE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION INTO YOUR POST -- FILL IN YOUR INFORMATION:
Test Results for the Following:
* Ammonia Level(Tank)
* Nitrite Level(Tank)
* Nitrate level(Tank)
* Ammonia Level(Tap)
* Nitrite Level(Tap)
* Nitrate level(Tap)
* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
Other Required Info:
* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
* Water temperature?
* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
* How often do you change the water and how much?
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
* How many fish in the tank and their size?
* What kind of water additives or conditioners?
* What do you feed your fish and how often?
* Any new fish added to the tank?
* Any medications added to the tank?
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That's a good idea, although I see your point about it maybe putting people off.

How about having some guidance pinned to the top of certain forum sections - eg. Illness & Diseases - based on the above list but expressed more as a list of things that might be useful to know, so post what information you can. Bit like an aide memoire.

What does everyone think?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I would feel like I joined the tea party talking to the IRSu
My fish would be dead before I filled out the form
A good clear pic helps a lot

Reaction score
I really like the list, as it covers most of what gets asked in the course of a trouble shooting conversation, but I fear that a novice reading that list would panic and not seek the help they need.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Have to say, I agree with any and all arguments ;) But really do like the idea. Maybe it could be written in as a SUGGESTION or REQUEST to all new posters, without implying that it's mandatory. I don't know how many people on forums actually read the "forum rules" when they start out.

[making it as to-the-point and as non-lecturing as possible -- too many "instructions" would turn anyone off]

Items with an (*) are the MOST important........ [or "Items are listed in order of importance...."]

If this is an EMERGENCY and your fish are in immediate danger, we encourage you to post ASAP regardless.

The more expert members could maybe choose a shorter list to (*).

Anyway, it could serve as an educational tool, and at least maybe cue folks in to the idea that there's more to "ponding" than just filling a hole with water and throwing in a bunch of fish. The GPF members are already well-trained, so it's mostly the new folks who need to be pointed in the right direction.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I agree that all that is extremely helpful information for those that are needing help. Without most of that information you really only have a limited amount of help you can give. Even pics don't help all the time. Such as what's going on below all that green water, or what microscopic creatures are causing problems. But with the information you can get more a more detail of what the keeper is doing and using and get a better feel of what direction to go. I don't think it should be made mandatory but really should be posted so that anyone that's needing help has at least a idea, of helpful information to give those of us that truly want to help.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Many forums have adopted similar lists.

It should be in water chem as well as the illness forum. Just now in another thread I asked the OP with green water to have his water tested for the second time. Maybe leave out the few questions about the fish health.

I would explain that the test are often provided free by pet shops and pond stores.

It may turn a few people off but when fish are dying they really do not have the luxury of playing 20 questions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, following on from the other topic about water quality, here is my suggestion for a sticky. I think it would work best in the Newbies, Water Chemisty and Illness sections:

Before posting, please take a moment to think about what information could really help the other members to help you. If your question is about water quality then this is particularly important!

The more information you can provide, the easier it will be for any issues to be identified. Please don't feel that you need to provide answers to all the fields below - use it more as a guide. You will need a test kit for the water quality queries, and these are usually cheap and easy to buy.

Photos can also be a big help!

Water quality
* Ammonia Level (pond)
* Nitrite Level (pond)
* Ammonia Level (tap water)
* Nitrite Level (tap water)
* Ph Level, pond (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
* Ph Level, tap water (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other useful information:
* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
* Water temperature?
* Pond size and how long has it been running?
* What is the name and size of the filter(s)?
* How often do you change the water and how much?
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
* How many fish in the pond and their type?
* What kind of water additives or conditioners have you used?
* What do you feed your fish and how often?
* Any new fish added to the pond recently?
* Any medications added to the pond?
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and pond
* Any unusual findings on the fish?
* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

If this is an EMERGENCY and your fish are in immediate danger, we encourage you to post ASAP regardless.

The list above was designed for tank queries and I have done my best to alter it for ponds. However if any of the above don't apply, or if there are other things you want added, please let me know!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Maybe say somewhere that this info is for "fish problems" too. If that's not stated, I can see where new posters, who don't understand the connection between fish health & water quality, might not think it was meant for them.

And if said that already, I missed it......

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
So perhaps as a title I could put "Read before posting: For queries about water quality, algae, fish problems etc" ?

Ask a Question