Posts written to incorrect topics — how to report and request moving to more appropriate “topic”

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Becky This one’s for you since I’ve sent a few of these your way lately, LOL! The ones where the [usually] newbie OP posts to, say, an intro or generic topic, when their question actually has to do with, say, an equipment issue.

Which way should I (we) let you know about posts that have been written to the wrong “topic”? Would you prefer that I (we ) mention moving them as a post within the thread (like I’ve been doing) — or do it as a “report” function?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I don't mind to be honest, but I guess it's probably cleaner to do it via the report system - that way there are no distractions from the main discussion. I think many people think reports are just for complaints, but they are actually very useful for drawing my attention to something (y)

I should also add that it's very useful when people tell me about topics in the wrong section - I try and look out for them, but I don't spot them all!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So either way is OK? I’ll try to remember to “report” them from now on. It might embarrass the OP to include the info within the thread, but at the same time, it can also be a way to let newbie folks know that there are different “topics” they can post to.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
So either way is OK? I’ll try to remember to “report” them from now on. It might embarrass the OP to include the info within the thread, but at the same time, it can also be a way to let newbie folks know that there are different “topics” they can post to.

I think if someone makes a comment in their topic about not being sure which sub-forum the question belongs in then it's fine to tell them and tag me so that I can move it. Otherwise the report system is a great way to alert me. When I move a topic I make sure that the OP gets a notification anyway (y)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think if someone makes a comment in their topic about not being sure which sub-forum the question belongs in then it's fine to tell them and tag me so that I can move it. Otherwise the report system is a great way to alert me. When I move a topic I make sure that the OP gets a notification anyway (y)
Ah, that’s good to know that the OP receives a notification of the change.

Ask a Question