pot or no pot

Reaction score
is there any reason why i couldnt remove a plant from a container and jam the roots into the rocks instead of using a pot? the only thing i could see is that it may be tough to insert a fertlizer stick

GreatDanesDad

Electro-Mechanical Engineer
Reaction score
Do you have fish in the pond or just a water garden? I only pot plants to keep the koi from rooting them.

GreatDanesDad

Electro-Mechanical Engineer
Reaction score
I suggest pots then. Or something to seperate the fish from the plants. Little Koi aren't a big problem, but it is funny how quickly little Koi grow up into big Koi. Personally I like pots because you can move them and give your pond a facelift if you want a change. Cheapest and easiest way to give your pond a new look.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
GreatDanesDad is absolutely right. In addition, some plants can be invasive, and once they grab a hold of your pond, it's very hard to get rid of them. Pots keep them in check. I have heard that yellow iris roots, if not divided, can grow through a liner after some time. However, this is something I've heard, not experienced. I do have some plants that are not in pots, however, I do not have koi, and I know they are not an invasive species.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Depends on the plant, some can easily cope with being bare root and koi grazing.

Downside with some invasive pond plants, they can become a mess of tangly foliage, am thinking of a tall grassy reed which without being anchored would go all sprawly and choke a pond faster without a pot to slow its spread down, while by contrast, a well behaved iris or acorus growing from a sturdy rhisome anchors itself well and looks good growing bare root, fairly easy to control

Regards, andy
http://swglist.wordpress.com/
http://www.pinterest.com/adavisus/pondering/

Ask a Question