Potential Problem noted by loss of Snails.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have had a wild life pond in my garden for about 25 years and for most of that time it has been self sufficient and regenerating both Plants and Animals.
We have always had a very strong snail population, but this last month I have noticed many white empty shells in the pond with some snails obviously dieing and loosing their shell colour.
Also noticeable has been the drop in the number of sticklebacks, but I have not come across any dead ones.
We do not use chemicals in the garden at all, but I do feel that the water is clearer than normal.
Has anyone any ideas as to the cause of this and any possible remedies.
Regards, Roj

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Do you test the water parameters? (PH, ammonia, nitrites, etc...)
No I have never needed to, but not sure whaT to do. Do I buy a kit from a shop selling pond stuff?
Thanks for your reply.
By the way I forgot to mention that we have 100's of tadpoles and many surface insects still about.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
What is your water source, municipal or well?
I usually top up from the rain water butts, very rarely do I use the mains water to top up. Thanks for your reply.
By the way I forgot to mention that we have 100's of tadpoles and many surface insects still about.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Speaking of insects, do you have many Damselflies or Dragonflies?
Funny you should mention that, I had a damsel fly land on the handle of my spade yesterday. Every thing other than reduced stickleback numbers and snail wipe out seems fine. It's so baffling.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The reason that I inquired about Damselflies/Dragonflies is that they are considered to be highly indicative of water quality problems, most notably chemical pollutants. Are these insects appearing in equal, greater or lesser numbers than in past years?
Snails are also considered good for monitoring chemical pollution levels in a body of water.
Studies have shown that the reproductive patterns of 3-spine stickleback can be negatively affected by chemical pollution
All of this leads me to suspect that the rain water may be your culprit. Rain water can be quite high in pollutants. In low amounts this may not cause a problem, but the fact that you may be concentrating the pollutants by exclusively using rainwater can be problematic.
Do you reside near a heavy industrial (factories) area?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
The reason that I inquired about Damselflies/Dragonflies is that they are considered to be highly indicative of water quality problems, most notably chemical pollutants. Are these insects appearing in equal, greater or lesser numbers than in past years?
Snails are also considered good for monitoring chemical pollution levels in a body of water.
Studies have shown that the reproductive patterns of 3-spine stickleback can be negatively affected by chemical pollution
All of this leads me to suspect that the rain water may be your culprit. Rain water can be quite high in pollutants. In low amounts this may not cause a problem, but the fact that you may be concentrating the pollutants by exclusively using rainwater can be problematic.
Do you reside near a heavy industrial (factories) area?
We live 6 miles from a Steelworks and could well have had something and am ready to take that on board, but what seems strange is that we have had the pond 25 years without problems and the Works have had to abide be EEC cleaner rules for the environment. BVut thanks for that. I'll ask my local Pond centre what help is available.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Are they around more or less with water quality problems? I had some last year and will pay more attention if they are a natural water quality indicators.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Damselflies and Dragonflies have long been known to be indicators of water quality. They will avoid fresh water that is polluted with chemical and hydrocarbons.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
After raising large Apple Snails years ago and many other types of snails, I know EXACTLY what cause snail shells to break down and desolve. The problem is the snails need lot's of fresh water to make Shell. Your PH is probably way to low and you need to add fresh TAP water daily to get snails to build good hard shells. In the wild you will always find clams and snails where there is a good supply of fresh water from streams as the water rushes over land it picks up minerals for snails to build there shells. I don't even need to see you PH reading to tell you Your water is way to soft and you need to add fresh water regularly . Tiny holes in snail shells is first sign. As water becomes too soft the snail shells break down fast. All is not lost, add lots of fresh water and declorinate the water for the fish. Add 15 or 20 percent fresh water daily until water is harder. I would not recommend a larger water change at this point as fish may stress out with sudden change.

Prevent this problem in future by adding fresh water weekly or twice weekly depending on how many Snails you have

Last edited:

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I usually top up from the rain water butts, very rarely do I use the mains water to top up. Thanks for your reply.

Rain water is way too soft and making it hard for snails to build shells. You need fresh tap water that contains minerals for snails. Save your rainwater for garden and laundry, NOT for pond cause it will make water way too soft.

Ask a Question