Potential sick Koi

Reaction score
I was looking in my pond yesterday and noticed that one of my big guys approx 12-18 in has what looks to be like a red/yellow spot on the back of his top fin, it looks about the size of a quarter, any one know of any sites i can look up to see whats wrong and how to get it taken care of. I figured i should pull him from the pond and put him in quartine, with a salt solution from the little i have read, but i want to know excallty how to handle this before i do anything.

Reaction score
It sounds like he may have ulcer. Google "fish diseases" and you should find plenty of information. Some sites will have pictures so that you can confrim that is the problem.
Good luck.

Reaction score
H have tried that and it's alomst impossible to find any thing specific and half of the info contradicts each other, just wondering if any one has come across a good site, ill take some pics this weekend and maybe someone can identify it.

Reaction score
i have him in quarantine here is a few pics of it, any one know what it is?

DSC00066.jpg

DSC00065.jpg

BBK

Reaction score
Is there a scratch or any type of open wound by the red spot? If not then it is a bacterial infection. You can find the meds at any pet store.

Reaction score
there is an open wound or what looks like one to me, the red spot is surrounding what i can best describe as an open wound, he is missing scales where it is all white in the middle of the red circle

Reaction score
Definitely sounds like a bacterial infection to me. Is he eating? if so, Medikoi is a very good antibacterial koi food. Pretty sure you have to buy it online, i think pondrx.com is a place you can get it. Definitely sounds like a bacterial infection to me. Melafix may help too. I lost a big guy recently with a very similar ulcer, i didnt react quickly enough.

Reaction score
he was eating when he was in the pond, now have him in a hospital tank, currently have melafix treatment going and .1% salt which is slowly being raised to .3% then taken back down to .1% over the next couple of days, I'm planning on keeping him in there for a week of treatment and see how it looks after 7 days.

Reaction score
well fished passed away today, when looking him over he had a similar red wound under his mouth. One question when cleaning the filter that was in his tank, it had red worms in it, as i have read that these are not harmfull, but the only way they could have been in this filter is they came off the fish, is this possible that they were the cause of the wounds?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If this is a tank. Drain it then sterilize everything with bleach. It is about 100 times cheaper than chemicals that might work.
Bleach will guarantee the 100% erradication of any known problem.
As for the pond, have any other fish become ill?

Reaction score
from what i can tel no other fish have the same spots that he had, he was the biggest the other range from 6 to 10 in. I did catch a couple when i was pulling him out and did not see any of the same signs, i was thinking of draining the pond next weekend and let it dry out for a day, then refill and place fish back in, but if the fish are already infected how do i go about getting rid of what is on them. Here is a pic that was taken of the worms caught in the pond filter.

DSC00050.jpg

DSC00051.jpg

BBK

Reaction score
Those are a type of external parasite. Treat the whole pond/fish with an external parasite med to be safe.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
When was the last time this filter was cleaned? You might want to do some image searches for these to see exactly what they are. Most parasites require a microscope to identify.

Ask a Question