Praher Multiport Valve - Model: SM20-AO Maintenance

Reaction score
Hello All,

This is my first time posting to this forum and I'm sure glad there is a community of other Koi Pond owners.

Situation:
Currently, I'm running a Praher SM20-AO Multiport valve for my Koi pond. As of late, I noticed that my lever is becoming harder and harder to rotate. I've emailed Praher technical support (just a few hours ago) and I figure I should try this forum just in case someone else has run into this issue.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to maintain this multiport valve? I've attached the product spec as a visual guide.

Thank you very much for your help!

Max

Attachments

• Praher Multiport Valve.pdf
    116.9 KB · Views: 609

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomefrogs24.gif
rainn240
Hello fellow Washingtonian and I must smile at your forum name. It does rain here all day it seems lately!
Sorry I can't help w/ the Praher problem but glad you joined and maybe someone will pop up w/ an answer for ya hopefully.

stpaddy1.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Found this on the web.
If you are having a difficult time rotating the multiport valve, there is an easy fix.
  • First, remove the pin holding the handle to the stem by knocking it out.
  • With the handle off, undo the screws or bolts which will allow you to lift off the cover.
  • The key stem will probably come with it because the shaft of the key stem is gunked up.
  • Remove the key stem from the cover, and you should see a small O-ring on the shaft.NOTE: If the valve has been leaking through the stem, here is the culprit.
  • You will also see a spring that holds the key stem down on the spoke gasket when assembled. Replace the O-ring if needed and thoroughly clean the shaft, O-ring, spring and the hole of the cover.
  • You will want to lubricate the O-ring with Jack's Lube, Aqualube, or a similar product.
  • While Vasaline will work, it dissolves in water fairly rapidly.
  • Place the key stem back in the valve with the hole in it towards the filter tank for a sand filter and the hole away from the tank if it is a DE filter.
  • Put the spring and washers (if there were some) back on the key stem.
  • Put the cover back on (check the cover O-ring) with the filter position over the opening in the key stem and evenly tighten down the screws/bolts.
  • The handle will now go on in the filter position, and you can replace the pin that holds it on.

Reaction score
Thank you J.W. for the welcome note. It was snowing this morning, and now it's sunny again. Typical Seattle weather. :)

DoDad - Thank you very much for looking up steps to grease the lever. I will give it a try and see how it works. Thanks for the quick reply.

Max

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mozzzika

Latest Threads