PRE-FILTERS

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
OK, for my next question -- tell me about pre-filters. Are there DIY versions? I know I will need this (poopy turtles), but what kind of set-ups work best with the least amt. of hassle. Will have a bio-filter [undetermined type at this point]. Haven't decided on, or even considered what pump, yet, either.

For my purposes, would like a pre-filter that doesn't have to be cleaned out too often (hate to say HOW often since I don't know what's considered the norm, but let's just say I'm somewhat lazy), and one that I'll be able to access & clean easily & quickly.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think a prefilter is work no matter what and with turtles you will have a lot of cleaning a prefilter .I have never used a prefilter to a certain extent .I just put my pump in a crate with lava rock around it as the foam prefilter that came with the pump got mucked up in 2 days and would suck in on itself and I almost burned out a pump because of that '

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Yeah, like sissy said either way you are going to have to clean them and it all depends on your pond conditions, but what kind of pump are you wanting to put a prefilter on? a submersible, or external pump?

Reaction score
[sup]Mmathis,[/sup]
[sup]Your situation is going to be a little different and we still don't know if you plan to put fish in the pond portion of your tank. No fish, no great need for a prefilter.[/sup]

[sup]I think we need to know what you have or have planned for the pond itself. You have a bit of different situation and setup going here.[/sup]

[sup]Gordy[/sup]

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
turtles I would think make bigger mess than fish .Never thought of tmanns thoughts of in the pond or out and you may have to think about that first .I saw a lot of video''s on you tube for turtle ponds and what works for them may give you some ideas ,since most of our ponds only have fish .The you tube video's may explain a lot more about turtle ponds .Seems like they will need a little more filtering from the bottom and also a way to keep them from escaping and also high area to sun themselves .

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i wouldnt run my filtration without prefilters. but not those stupid little peices of foam crammed into the pump housung... they can save your pump, and by far lessen the workload on your biofilter. sure they need cleaning. and quite frequently if you start using them in a dirty pond. but if you use them and your pond is fairly clean already the maintainence is cut way down. every 4 - 5 days i clean mine. and the amount of gunk, poop, dead alge, etc... thats caught and removed before getting pureed by your pumps impellor and sent to your biofilter to coat your media and diminish the filters effectiveness is quite suprizing. every pond and every situation is different, but myself, i have, do, and will continue to use prefilters. a prefilter doesnt have to go right on the pump mine are located at the far side of the pond plumbed to my pumps input by 1&1/4" tubing. my pump is located right under my waterfall.

Reaction score
OK, for my next question -- tell me about pre-filters. Are there DIY versions? I know I will need this (poopy turtles), but what kind of set-ups work best with the least amt. of hassle. Will have a bio-filter [undetermined type at this point]. Haven't decided on, or even considered what pump, yet, either. For my purposes, would like a pre-filter that doesn't have to be cleaned out too often (hate to say HOW often since I don't know what's considered the norm, but let's just say I'm somewhat lazy), and one that I'll be able to access & clean easily & quickly.

Mmathis,

I guess I had better ask this question... What is your concept of a "pre-filter"?

Due to the timing of your reply to my post in the other thread, I got the impression that you were referring to a "strainer" for the pump inlet.

However, a "prefilter" to me is a sediment filter upstream from any bio filter or finishing/polishing filters. Whatever they may be. I always think of a prefilter as a very coarse entrapment vessel to capture solids that you don't want to be entrained in your bio-filter system.

If this is what you are referring to, then you definitely need such a prefilter. But, I also recommend some sort of a strainer on the inlet side of the pump, even if it is crude and coarse. I feel that you need something there to prevent sticks, rocks and hard debris from entering the pump impeller. How coarse the strainer is depends upon your pump, the size of fish and the size of the debris that you expect to be in the pond area. If you have NO fish, and little chance of any debris from entering the pump inlet, then you can get by with an extremely open (coarse) strainer filter as a "prefilter for the pump". This will reduce your need to pull that strainer out and clean it often. You may still have to clean it over time, if alga grows heavily on it and begins to restrict it.

I apologize because I was confused as to whether you meant a prefilter for the pump or a prefilter for the bio-filter system.

Going back to your post in the other thread, and regarding the lakescreen filter that I mentioned to you. That lakescreen filter would work excellently as a prefilter or rather as a "strainer" for your pump, something to keeep large, rigid debris like fish, sticks and gravel from entering your pump impeller. But, I would not utilize it as a prefilter for your pond's bio-filter. At least not as it stands off the shelf. It could be utilized to make up a component of that, but not just all by itself.

My hobby of fishing involves using large bait fish (bullheads) which are quite a dirty fish for a tank or pond when in large numbers. Caught from the wild and kept in a tank or pond, they can expel a great deal of waste. This waste has no effect on the pump, but will clog your bio-filtration system quickly and even a sediment filter made from sand or fine gravel would shut down doue to too much bio-waste.

If your turtles (tortoises) are as dirty as my bait fish, you would certainly want a prefilter, but the pump strainer is somewhat up to conjecture. You need one to keep rocks and sticks out for certain, but if there are no fish, you can get by with a pretty large mesh stainer.

What you are doing is quite off the track of what most of the garden and Koi pond folks are doing and requiring. Your situation may be more akin to what I am doing. But, on a much smaller scale and with different critters. Your tortoises won't care so much about the water quality, temperature or pH and hardness, etc. because they don't live in the water. My bait bullheads do live in my pond water, but they are extremely hardy, so they don't care as much as Koi do about the water conditions. However, I am going to have many of them contained in a small area. Therefore, my water is going to foul much more quickly than a Koi pond or garden pond, and therefore, my filtration design is specialized for the type and number of fish that I have and the size of the tank.

May I ask if my logic sensible to you so far?

You and I have a lot of different parameters to be concerned with. Not so much any more than a Koi or garden ponder has, but just different because of the species of animals we are putting in our tanks.

The waste from your tortoises is going to be much dryer and bulkier than the waste from any fish. Therefore, you have a special waste management concern. I have put snapping turtles in my tanks to clean them (the turtles) off and out before I harvest them and they can really foul the water badly and quickly, but they are also in the water all of the time. Your tortoises seem to be just doing their jobs in the water, which is just as bad, I suppose.

Just off the top of my head, a prefilter design for your situation would consist of a small barrel with a settling chamber for the larger solid wastes. Something more akin to a septic tank. In essence, that is exactly what you you are trying to do, dispose of the same type of waste that humans excrete, just on a smaller scale. I would recommend that you Google the designs for septic tanks and search a lot of them. I know that you can utilize such a system for collecting solid wastes in a prefilter before the effluent water goes on to your bio-filtration system.

I wish I knew how to draw this out for you, a picture is better. But, let's see if I can describe it sufficiently, as it is quite simple.

Pump your pond water into the top section of a barrel or a tub of some sort, preferrably HDPE plastic. Let's refer to that as the "vessel" from here on.

If the pump is located in the pond, run PVC tubing from the outlet of the pump to the upper section of the vessel (not into the very top of the vessel or lid, but through the side wall at a level that is about 75-80% of the height of the barrel).

Once the piping enters the vessel, attach a drainage wye fitting with the curved side entry as the inlet and directed downwards. The straight or inline portion of the wye fitting will be positioned vertically so that the water and solids drop downwards and the top portion is open to the atmossphere. Attach a section of PVC tubing that directs the inlet flow towards the bottom of the vessel. Cut that tube off so that it ends at about 10-20% of the total depth of the vessel. On the opposite side of the vessel from the inlet will be your outlet piping.

For the outlet piping, mirror the inlet piping setup. But, position the outlet tube or hole so that it exits the vessel 1" lower than the inlet point.

Next, the tube or pipe that drops down from the drainage wye, cut that off at about 40-50% of the height of the vessel (just a bit higher then bottom of the inlet).

The majority of the solids will either silt to the bottom or float on top, but will not go out your exit piping since it is somewhere in between.

Include a bottom drain if you are able to, otherwise you will have to use a reclaim pump to remove all the solids from the bottom of the vessel at some point in time. When it fills up. This will be your prefilterr solids collection vessel and it will work very well.

Gordy

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I wish there was this magical prepump filter that would work better than what they have now .Gosh someone invent one ..I sure have tried everything and so far the lava rock in laundry bags placed in a tote is the only one I can come up with ,I had the foam filter in my pump and no matter how clean my pond is it would get clogged up in a day or two and I would have to pull the pump to clean it . I guess some of it has to do with koi . I wonder if there could be a pump made that somehow back flushes itself out of the pond .and all the prefilter stuff gets trapped in the back flush somehow ,Not sure how that could happen .I know using a skimmer works better but how much better .My neighbor has one and it seems the pump in that one needs clean every other day

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I wish there was this magical prepump filter that would work better than what they have now .Gosh someone invent one ..I sure have tried everything and so far the lava rock in laundry bags placed in a tote is the only one I can come up with ,I had the foam filter in my pump and no matter how clean my pond is it would get clogged up in a day or two and I would have to pull the pump to clean it . I guess some of it has to do with koi . I wonder if there could be a pump made that somehow back flushes itself out of the pond .and all the prefilter stuff gets trapped in the back flush somehow ,Not sure how that could happen .I know using a skimmer works better but how much better .My neighbor has one and it seems the pump in that one needs clean every other day

That is one reason I like the external pumps, my skimmer I clean maybe every two weeks or so, a little more since leaves have been dropping. The leaf baskets catch the pre pump junk, they get cleaned off and on, maybe every 2-3 weeks. I net the bottom, maybe once every 6 weeks or so for any major stuff. Other than that leave the pond alone (no koi)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
both subermersible pumps I have have the adapter to make them out of water pumps and may get it a test try .By what I read the adapter that came with it you just put it on and take the cage off and the filter out which I have never used anyway .

Reaction score
I like sieve type prefilters. Very easy to build yourself, cheap, and self cleaning. And best of all they remove the crap right away. Prefilters that requires cleaning every couple of days isn't as useful imo because crap breaks down really fast. To be most useful these do have to be gravity fed but that's not hard, just a bit of planning.

Here a couple of videos that show the basics. DIY sieve filter. And here's a manufactured unit, filter starts at 5:30 min in.

You can buy the screen material specifically for this application or just use regular fiberglass window screen. To get a finder screen you can overlay 2, 3 or 4 layers of the window screen.

Before this I built many prefilters, including one the size of a garbage can with 3 layers of different meshes. All needed to be cleaned often. The largest was the worst, clogged with algae and was so heavy I could barely get it out of the pond.

When I install a pump the first thing I do is throw out any foam prefilter. Protect the pump? You mean clog the pump so it burns up.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
my prefilter is easily lifted out of the pond.or just brought up to the side. then i can just remove the pads. i would never use those stupid little peices of foam crammed in the pump housing either.... my old 7.5 gal trickle bio fillter thats converted to a prefilter, has 5 layers of coarse to fine filter pads, and a thick felt type pad infused with A.C., and does a fantastic job of mechanical filtration...right down to some pretty fine particles. thats why my water looks clean and clear before even hitting my biofilter. a prefilter that needs more frequent cleaning if its not just" too small" is due to it catching more crud...one that seldom needs cleaning isnt likely catching much. myself i dont want just fish poop being caught, i want anything and everything thats sitting in, or suspended in my water that i dont want there caught and removed before clogging my pump or getting in my biofilter. in my basement pond the water is pulled thru fiberfill and then eggcrate foam. its absoluetly crystal clear and no visable particulates. whats created by sucking fish poop thru a pump impellor? poop soup! this pureed poo is then sent off to coat filter media, and produce DOCs. every spec of dead organic matter that is removed from a pond is a plus for the health of the pond and fish.

Reaction score
Kioguy, not sure if your counter point is directed at my post, just from habit I assume it is. The mesh used in a sieve can be pretty much anything you like. 300 microns seems to be common. Egg create foams are normally much larger than 1000 microns, fiberfill even larger. If the goal is to remove every spec of dead organic matter cell open size would seem to be important.

Sieve filters are used before the pump, so yeah, no poop soup. Hence the "gravity feed" concept.

Having stuff sit in a filter while still in the water flow does decay and create DOCs. Even more so since the O2 levels would be better. The sieve filter pushes the matter out of the water flow as soon as it hits the filter. The filter is effectively being cleaned every second of everyday.

I normally think of a prefilter as something that removes fairly large matter before the pump chops it up. The fine stuff is removed later in various filters. I see a lot of setups like this. To get a single filter to remove every spec of stuff before the pump is impressive. Unfortunately many people, myself included, haven't been able to create such a filter that works in the ponds we run. You should patent your design and make millions.

You're a better man than I for considering it no big deal to clean filters every couple of days. My hat is off to you.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If the pump is in the pond and was collecting gunk and that gunk is no good for the pond is that not bad .I have no prefilter per say but I have my pump in a tote with bags of lava rock .Would the poo pureed or not still go into your filter one way or the other and is it not better it is in your filter than setting in a prefilter in the pond .I see those foam things and had them in my pond and they are terrible and koiguy your idea sounds better .I have had good success with the way I filter the pond right now and may rethink it later but for now it works and like addy said I do the same I net my pond and pick up what ever may be on the bottom .I find doing that is the same as netting a pool and maybe even easier if the fish understood what I was doing .Seems like when I want to catch them the little buggers swim away from the net but when I cleaning the bottom they want to go into the net ,the chits are stinkers .I don't have a skimmer and felt there was no need for it since I have no leaves blowing into the pond .I guess though now thinking about it it may could have been used as a prefilter of sorts .The gunk on the bottom of the pond is more important to get out .With the lava rock in the bags I just leave them in and suck the gunk out with the shop vac .It goes in one end of the shop vac and out the other end into a basket with quilt batting in it and back into the pond .Dedicated shop vac for the pond .It is the really small one lowes sells

Ask a Question