pre-formed plastic Pond Repair question

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a pre-formed plastic pond which appears to have a small hole in it.

The hole is not very big though it will definitely be a problem if I don't fix it. I was thinking that I could maybe use a bicycle tire repair kit. Has anyone done this before?

I was also thinking about buying a liner and placing the liner inside the pre-formed plastic.

What's your opinion? Should I trash the pre-formed plastic pond and just use a liner OR should I just patch the pond OR patch the pond and put a liner inside of it?

Thanks,

~Kevin

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
In a simular situation, I used a used a nylon bolt, nut and washers with aqaurium silicone. Worked well and held for many years. You can get nylon bolts, nuts, and washers of a variety of sizes at most any hardware stores. First thing I did was to drill out the hole only to make it round to fit the bolt size. Also to maintain structural strength of the material around the hole. Go as small as you can, and place the head of the bolt to the inside of the pond. This fix will cost you much less than buying a liner.

Reaction score
Hmm, thanks for the suggestion. That might be a better solution than the tire repair kit.

Though I can buy a new 10' x 10' liner for $30 from a friend.

~Kevin

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i would buy the liner, and make my pond as big as the liner would allow as long as ive got everything apart, dig the existing hole deeper by a foot or so. then dig the sizeand shape of hole youd like as the diameter of the pond and use the preformed liner to protect the lower portion of the flexible liner. not much more work and will give a firm bottom to the pond... that is if your existing pond isnt bigger. use the escavated soil to build a waterfall

Ask a Question