Pre-packed kits or buy the pieces yourself?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was having a look around some ponding shops last night (as I'm beginning to buy in some equipment for building my first ever pond) and I started to notice that there are quite a lot of prepackaged kits which caught my eye (this one in particular: https://www.pondkeeper.co.uk/2500-litre-fish-pond-kit/p1166).

I was wondering if anyone has any views as to whether or not these kits are worth it or are you really just the cheapest materials available? Anyone had any particularly positive experiences with a kit?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
the fishmate thing is garbage had one for my preformed and water got the uv bulb wet and it kept burning out.I still have don't know why

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I looked at the kits, but bought my own in the end. I looked up the individual pieces on amazon and online retailers. I did get the skimmer shown in the kit, sold on its own on amazon as it had good reviews, the pump from the kit had bad reviews. If the kit lists each piece by company and model number, look them up online so you can check reviews.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the fishmate thing is garbage had one for my preformed and water got the uv bulb wet and it kept burning out.I still have don't know why

Hmm, think I'll pass on this particular kit in any case maybe kits in general.
Yeah I'm definitely going to post product listings on here before buying some of the more complex pieces of equipment like pumps and UV bulbs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I looked at the kits, but bought my own in the end. I looked up the individual pieces on amazon and online retailers. I did get the skimmer shown in the kit, sold on its own on amazon as it had good reviews, the pump from the kit had bad reviews. If the kit lists each piece by company and model number, look them up online so you can check reviews.

Might well do that then, did you just buy from Amazon or are there are any good retailers you'd recommend? :)
I think I'm going to pass on the skimmer as it's just a small goldfish pond that I'm putting together and I'm happy enough to bring up the gravel and such every now and then to hose it down.

I feel like I could keep adding bells and whistles for all eternity and having spoken to some people here, they've foregone the skimmer and haven't missed it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Might well do that then, did you just buy from Amazon or are there are any good retailers you'd recommend? :)
I think I'm going to pass on the skimmer as it's just a small goldfish pond that I'm putting together and I'm happy enough to bring up the gravel and such every now and then to hose it down.

I feel like I could keep adding bells and whistles for all eternity and having spoken to some people here, they've foregone the skimmer and haven't missed it.
The skimmer for me was added because of all the trees. Not sure if retailers are the same over there as here. I got an anjon skimmer, and a waterfall spill way with filter on amazon. I used Webb pond supplies for a lot of the other stuff.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've seen some great all in one pond kits - everything included so you don't spend time running around for parts or get to the middle of your project and realize you forgot something. If you know what size pond you plan to build and are confident getting everything from one supplier I think these can be a perfect option.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Unless I missed it, it doesn't say what kind of liner that is.

Kits are great if they have exactly what you want. When I looked, it seemed every kit had an underpowered filtration system for the size of the liner. I ended up mixing and matching from a bunch of brands and suppliers and spent less than the kits (I think). But if you don't want to think about every piece of it, get a good kit.

Ask a Question