water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
joshk87 said:
It sounds good, but i would have to run a pretty long hose and consider burying it to keep everything looking nice. I also worry about having to shut it off everytime I head to the pond to aviod getting sprayed. If they had a scarecrow that used the pondwater that would save a lot of hassle.

Just get a brass shut off coupling, from home depot, lowes, put on the end of hose right before the sprayer. But then you have to remember to walk up to the sprayer from behind it and turn off the coupler!

Reaction score
hey digginponds,
got a question....what did you use for shelter for the fish?. I was thinking about a very large plastic drain pipe, but we don't have anything like that laying around. any ideas would be helpful
thanx

Reaction score
We're going with the bomb shelter approach. You could call it a "pond-in-a-box".

This is in construction phase still. Heron/kingfisher exclusion will be lathe, or bird netting, or shadecloth, or some combination.

Attachments

• p8080118-2.jpg
    p8080118-2.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 430

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Funny, I've never seen anything but sparrows and finches at the pond, never lost a fish. But, as I was reading this article, I noticed out the window by the pond a large shadow going back and forth overhead. Made me very nervous.

Of course, I'm not so pest animal friendly as some here appear to be. I'd just shoot the bastard.

Reaction score
Great article, Koiguy the only thing I would add is that herons are reluctant to enter water deeper than 18", so anyone building a pond could keep that in mind.
Personaly, I'll be putting the marginals on concrete blocks, which will provide hiding places for the fish too

Of course, I'm not so pest animal friendly as some here appear to be. I'd just shoot the bastard.
Well herons are federally protected in the US, so if you're caught you could face anything from a fine in the hundreds of dollars to even jail time, depending on the species.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My wife just saw the heron by the edge of my pond this afternoon, must be looking for easy food as the fish are barely moving. thank goodness the pond was still 1/2 covered by ice.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have not seen our heron back in a while. Hope it stays away for a long time, doubt that will happen, I do see it closer to town. The fish still hide under the liner, it may have flown over and seen an empty pond and kept going.

donS

DonS Atlanta, GA USA
Reaction score
Had a visitor yesterday, caught him on my survailance camera.
He couldn't get the big koi but managed to pick out a small bluegill that was in there also.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks like those koi are way bigger than that heron but Mr Heron can still do a lot of damage to your koi by stabbing them. Hope you can somehow put a stop to his pilfering! Would not want to see those beautiful fish hurt :sad:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Aww memories of last summer, I am getting my anti heron stuff back up. So far leaving the liner floating to give them some coverage waiting for the plants to grow.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That floating liner idea has been a good deal for you addy. Works like a charm and the fish like to hang out under it. Either it's warmer under there or they are smart or both!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That floating liner idea has been a good deal for you addy. Works like a charm and the fish like to hang out under it. Either it's warmer under there or they are smart or both!

I have brilliant fish, sent them to anti heron school!

Ask a Question