Preferred comet food

Reaction score
Country
United States
currently feed our comets '' omega one medium goldfish pellets'' and occasionally some ''spirulina 20'' . we have 7 comets about 6'' long and 4 babies from last year about 3'' long . there is also one black fish same size as other 4 babies , i'm assuming it is a comet as well . feed twice a day and roughly 25 pellets [sinking] at a time . i've read to feed for about 2 or 3 minutes and recover left over food . our fish consume what i feed in 10 to 15 seconds and would consume most of the container in 3 minutes . wondered if there was a better choice of food and your thoughts on quantity i feed them . yes , i did a search and it was worthless as most searches i've done on here have been . all thoughts appreciated . . .peace.....ps . of course i change food and quantity when temperature goes down .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
as most searches i've done on here have been

Hmmm... maybe you're searching for weird things? Haha!

Anyway - sorry I missed this the first time! We feed ours koi and goldfish pellets made by Microbe-lift. They have different types of food, but we use the summer blend during the warmer months. I just look for ingredients that sound like things fish would eat - that's my scientific approach!

I wouldn't worry too much about how much they eat - give them a few handfuls and then let them fend for themselves. You really don't even HAVE to feed pond fish if you don't want to - there's plenty in the pond for them to eat. But my fish, like yours, would continue to eat until the food was gone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
Mine snub their noses at pelletized feed. They will only eat "Goldfish Crisps". Anything else is wasted, either the skimmer gets it, or it settles to the bottom and fouls the water.

Ask a Question