Prefilter Design?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,
I am hoping to get some design ideas on a prefilter. I built a 10,000 gallon pond about ten years ago. I live out in the country and am frequented by local wildlife. I also get lots of organic debris blown in. Of course this wreaks havoc in the winter when my pond freezes over and the DO crashes. I have a strong pump to pull this junk off the bottom, but it also sucks up animals such as the local Western Red Newts-does anyone have any ideas on how I can pull debris off the bottom without filling my prefilter box with dead newts? I would like to start up with koi again, but don't dare till I get this problem fixed. Any ideas are greatly appreciated,

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
First- What is the flow rate in GPH of your current pump and what is the plumbing size? How deep is your pond? What is the approximate surface area of your pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
My pond is approximately 20x40 feet, and four feet at the deepest point. I can't remember what the flow rate is and can't get to my pump at the moment to look at that data. The pump has been off for years because the small prefilter box got clogged daily. I used 1.5" pipe which goes to four plastic 55 gallon drum filters I made, and then exits through a waterfall at the other end. I have numerous problems to correct, but the problem at the pump is the biggest problem.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Several options-
-Elevate existing pump and pre-filter.
-Purchase a solids handling pump
-Install a skimmer module

Any of these will remedy the frequent clogging, but accumulated debris will need to be removed manually from bottom of pond.

You did not indicate---Is this a lined pond or earth-bottom.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I would suggest to focus your efforts on creating a safe habitat for the local wildlife instead of a typical clean koi pond.
If your pump has been off for years, you probably have a fair amount of debris buildup already. I would try to work with that going forward. At 10,000 gallons, your pond could be self sustaining with only circulation and basic surface filtration being required.

How long do you have ice cover for?
Can you provide any pictures?
What part of the US are you in?

Ask a Question