Prefilter?

Reaction score
So when we hook up the new filter we plan on dropping our pondmaster 1200 on to the bottom of the pond but does it need some kind of prefilter? I want it to suck all the junk into the filter but don't want the pump getting all jammed up. Suggestions?

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Hi Jenn,

It all has a lot to do with how big your pond is, how big the pre-filter is,, how many fish, how many plants.

My pre-filter is skimmer type PVC pipe attached to the side of my plastic pond that flows into a resevor where the pre-filter catches most of the big goo. From there the water pump sends the water inline to the UV clearifier, and then in to the boi-filter. That water returns to the pond via the base of my water fall. You can view my disorderly pictures that are noted at my signiture.

I'm sure that someone here will be able to help you with your question.

Reaction score
My pre-filter is two plastic baskets that I bought at the dollar store. I have put them together clam shell style and attached them together with clamps made out of short pieces of PVC pipe that I cut lengthwise on one side. My filter fits inside and I made a small hole on each end. One for the cord and one for the output tubing. The holes are small enough to keep the large stuff from going into the pump but large enough that I don't have to clean it often.

Attachments

• pump prefilter1resize.jpg
    pump prefilter1resize.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 335
  • pumpprefilter2resize.jpg
    pumpprefilter2resize.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 343

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Great idea, I like the home made gadgets. Short of my water fall, water pump, UV clearifier, most all of the hardware and plumbing in my pond are home made from things purchased at local hardware stores.

Question: Is this your only filter in your pond?

The reason I ask is that I found that for most part, the addition of a boi-filter was the answer to most of my pond problems. I would suggest adding an inline boi-filter to your system between you pre-filter and water return to the pond.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Sounds like your set, and shouldn't have any major filtration problems.

I end up rinsing my pre-filter about once a week, and I use the dregs or sludge from the rinse to water plants in the flower beds.

Ask a Question