Preformed Pond and getting it level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have recently brought a preformed Pond. I've the done the basics and dug out the hole and placed it in the hole. Once I have filled it with water. The water is higher the one side. I put sand in the bottom of hole and still not right. I've filled it 3 times now and had to empty each time. Any help or advice. Thanks

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hmm... I was going to suggest crushed granite with sand on top. That's what i did for my preformed pond. Since you've already tried that, I'm not sure. Sorry!

Does your pond form have indentations where the plant shelves are (if you have plant shelves)? Mine does, and I had to fill those spots in (in the hole in dug) with bricks because the pond semi-collapsed/shifted and became unlevel.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
This is exactly what makes these ponds so much harder than a liner! And even if you get it level, they tend to settle, as does most everything you put in the ground. Sorry for the downer news! I think you have to just keep working to get it level. Sand is a good idea as it is malleable. Maybe you need more sand to work with. I wouldn't fill it with water until you're sure it's level though. Get a long level or a string level to test it before you fill it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm... I was going to suggest crushed granite with sand on top. That's what i did for my preformed pond. Since you've already tried that, I'm not sure. Sorry!

Does your pond form have indentations where the plant shelves are (if you have plant shelves)? Mine does, and I had to fill those spots in (in the hole in dug) with bricks because the pond semi-collapsed/shifted and became unlevel.

Yes. The preformed Pond does have shelves in it. I thought the same as this could be why it's running uneven.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is exactly what makes these ponds so much harder than a liner! And even if you get it level, they tend to settle, as does most everything you put in the ground. Sorry for the downer news! I think you have to just keep working to get it level. Sand is a good idea as it is malleable. Maybe you need more sand to work with. I wouldn't fill it with water until you're sure it's level though. Get a long level or a string level to test it before you fill it.

I have tried with the level above the pond but because the lips are uneven it's difficult

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
hi mark i had the same problem untill i did this
first you need to level the ground and put about 3-4 inches of sand on to it and relevel the sand also
then place the empty liner on top carefully and check if the top is level
when you get it level carefully build a mound of sand around the base and up the sides to steady it
put a level on it again and adjust it untill iys right
and without moving it back fill it slowly some more while checking its level again
take your time backfilling it and make sure theres no air gaps as it will buckle when filling it
repeat this until you reach the top
and fill it slowly with water while checking the top and making any adjustments necessary as its filling
patience and time is all thats required

ps the hole has to be bigger than the preform

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@mark_evans7

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum, good luck with the pond, I got rid of mine they were level then over winter heaved and were not level. Then one cracked during a real bad winter, so tossed them. Put in a liner.

Reaction score
I would make it a little higher than the ground around it. Let it settle then build the ground up. But beware if you live in an area that gets very cold it could heave in the winter. Even so, as long as you can adjust the dirt around it you'll be fine. To hide the edge you can put flat rocks around.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here’s a wild idea that I have not yet tried but what about putting 8 bricks on the bottom of the dug pond and level them. Put gravel in the middle to reduce the amount to fill. Fill with water to the top of the bricks (a good way to check they are level). Put cling film on the bottom of the pond liner. Put the pond liner on the bricks then pour dry post concrete down the gap between liner and hole to just above the height of the bricks. I’m guessing that you end up with a concrete ‘frame’ around the bottom of the pond and can lift the liner out due to the cling film and then fill the centre with sand. Put the liner back in , fill the liner about a foot at a time with water and then commence filling with sharp sand around the sides , water it down and keep checking the level. If the pond sags and becomes unlevel use wood wedges to support it while you continue to back fill with sand.

I don’t know if this would work so I would be interested in others views?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Here’s a wild idea that I have not yet tried but what about putting 8 bricks on the bottom of the dug pond and level them. Put gravel in the middle to reduce the amount to fill. Fill with water to the top of the bricks (a good way to check they are level). Put cling film on the bottom of the pond liner. Put the pond liner on the bricks then pour dry post concrete down the gap between liner and hole to just above the height of the bricks. I’m guessing that you end up with a concrete ‘frame’ around the bottom of the pond and can lift the liner out due to the cling film and then fill the centre with sand. Put the liner back in , fill the liner about a foot at a time with water and then commence filling with sharp sand around the sides , water it down and keep checking the level. If the pond sags and becomes unlevel use wood wedges to support it while you continue to back fill with sand.

I don’t know if this would work so I would be interested in others views?
what you have to understand is that unless you go below the frost line and do so with some integrity re support, winter is going to laugh at your efforts of keeping anything in the ground level. That's why footers are done. There's a reason most eventually switch to a liner pond--the ground isn't going to put it out of level and you're free to create any shape you want.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what you have to understand is that unless you go below the frost line and do so with some integrity re support, winter is going to laugh at your efforts of keeping anything in the ground level. That's why footers are done. There's a reason most eventually switch to a liner pond--the ground isn't going to put it out of level and you're free to create any shape you want.
I’m from the UK so not as extreme winters as you

Ask a Question