Preformed pond framework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have built framework up for a preformed pond , i was going to sit it on some slabs and level it up with bed of sand , the frame is about 2ft deep , 2.4 m long , 1.6 wide can i backfill round the pond, to fill the frame with pea grit or shingle , will this support the preformed pond liner

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
yes, but sand would be easier to use and it'll fill spaces better. Fill, wash in with water, fill again, rinse, wash, repeat until desired level of sand is attained.

smilie-sword-twirl-masked.gif

Attachments

• smilie-pencil-twirl.gif
    smilie-pencil-twirl.gif
    22.3 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry not a preformed design expert.

Welcome to the forum

Reaction score
Country
United States
yes, but sand would be easier to use and it'll fill spaces better. Fill, wash in with water, fill again, rinse, wash, repeat until desired level of sand is attained.

View attachment 144645
Welcome Foxynev! Agree with @brokensword, sand is your best bet for a couple of reasons. As stated above, it will fill the gaps better and is less likely to cut/puncture the plastic pond. Just be sure you have the built-up framework level and tightly sealed with the ground. Did you use 4x4's for the framework? A weak frame will flex (I can speak from an awful experience) and the sand/filler will escape causing a major problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have a 25 year old preformed fiberglass shell. I dug a 15" hole (just too much old concrete, brick, building debris in the ground to go deeper) and leveled the bottom of the hole with 3-4" of sand. Then I set the pond (25" shell depth) and built a Pavestone (preformed concrete blocks) wall around the perimeter, filling the void between the wall and the fiberglass shell with more sand as I went. It has held up very well over the years. However! If I could do it all over again - after learning what I've learned from this site - I would persevere in digging out all the garbage in the ground, make it 3 times as big, use a nice liner, cover the edges with beautiful mossy boulders, construct a half-dozen waterfalls, and put a plant-choked bog at each end, and add an array of LED lights both underwater and arching over the pond...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, thankyou for you advices, think i will with the sand , the frames has been built with 4x2 ,tpo and bottom and upright decking boardscut at about 700, i am going to put 4 post concreted into ground so frame dont move , and put a plastic liner inside so sand cant escape the gaps between the decking boards, , somebody suggested fill the whole lot witn compacted sand , then dig the prefomed shape out,

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Put weight on the preformed pond. When you wet the sand with water to compact it, it will float and your calculations to make it level will be lost. Or add a little water and allow it to gradually absorb the sand.

Ask a Question