Preformed Waterfall Algae

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I have successfully got rid of the algae in my pond thanks to a pump and oxygenating plants. But I'm loosing a fighting battle with the algae that forms in the pools of water within my preformed waterfall. Is there anything that people can recommend? Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
vacuum your pond remove as much debris as you can and get more plants into the picture the fast growing larger annual type/ ones that wont be invasive but will die off from winter.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1582497343392.gif
@skyking_comms
You can get rid of it like some do here by pouring hydrogen peroxide on it. I think @sissy has done this before. I'm not sure how much but she will know.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you can do that also .I turn off my pump and you do need a sunny day to help n it work faster .I squirt on half a bottle and wait half an hour and then turn it back on and wait for it to float away .I do use quilt batting in my filter to help catch all of it as the pumps said it to my filter .Peroxide does not harm fish at that amount .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The problem isn't with the pond but the water that builds up in the 3 pools on the preformed waterfall. This is similar to what I have, where you can see the 3 deep pools where the water just sits and the algae builds up. My waterfall is raised and the water flows down the waterfall, but runs off the water that has built up in the pools. Hope that makes sense..
I didn't want to keep adding algae killer to the 3 pools on a regular basis, so hoping there's something else I could do..
waterfall.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Adding plants in the pools removes the nutirients from the water that allows algae to grow anywhere the water touches. You do not need to add plants to the falls, they will do the job in the pools, where they will suck up the nutrients in the water so there are fewer nutrients feeding the algae throughout the system. Both plants and algae eat the same yummy stuff in ponds, by adding plants, you starve the algae out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to disagree as our pond is crystal clear thanks to a pump, UV light and oxygenating plants. The algae grows after about 24 hours in the waterfall and I'm fed up of constantly removing it by hand. I'm now swaying towards planting plants that overarch the waterfall to shade the water, therefore preventing the algae to grow. Or even putting an umbrella over it!

Adding plants in the pools removes the nutirients from the water that allows algae to grow anywhere the water touches. You do not need to add plants to the falls, they will do the job in the pools, where they will suck up the nutrients in the water so there are fewer nutrients feeding the algae throughout the system. Both plants and algae eat the same yummy stuff in ponds, by adding plants, you starve the algae out.

Ask a Question