Pregnant kois hold on to eggs as long as it takes?

Julia

My pond w/ tong,buyog,snow,skai,bubbles&ela
Reaction score
My pond has 3 females, all others male. Pond used to be free of rocks and plants. As far as I can remember, my 3 females always had bloated bodies. I always thought this was normal for females. Reading this forum I started to think they were sick. But I sometimes see signs of egg-laying activities, so maybe not, but their bodies never seemed to slim down after.

Two weeks ago I copied one of this forum's floating netted hula-hoop concepts (cant remember who invented sorry) to keep hyacints on pond water. Fish were happy and there went the egg-laying again, as expected.

This morning, I was so surprised to see my females all slimmed down after years of bloatedness! I can only surmise that they have probably been trying to keep all those eggs inside until they have somewhere (net and plants) to lay them on, and those that got away once in a while, they couldnt hold much longer! I know female kois eat their eggs, but maybe before these are out of their tummies, the fish has a natural instinct to keep them. hmmm.

If I had known, I would have placed these nets and plants when I started. I cant imagine what inconvenience they had to go through because I wanted a clean surfaced pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Typically koi reabsorb eggs in the winter. You being in the Philippines I have no idea how cool it gets there so maybe they don't reabsorb them when it's constantly warm. Maybe some of the members in warm climes can comment.

Craig

Julia

My pond w/ tong,buyog,snow,skai,bubbles&ela
Reaction score
Hello Craig. Thanks for input. By 'reabsorb' you mean they take them into their mouths and store them back in their tummies? They're not really eating them?

Ask a Question