pregnant seahorse.

Reaction score
A couple years ago I had a pair of seahorses that the male had babies all the time. The babies were so small 1003.JPG and I was hatching brine shrimp for them to eat but the shrimp were to big. I then finally got some rotifers which are smaller, but then the males pouch filled with air and it was just like a ballon, so he was floating on the top of the water. Did some reseach and found out how to expel the air from his pouch. Must of really stressed him no matter how hard I tried to be gentle cause after I got the air out he went down and wrapped his tail around the gorgonian and would not eat and then he died.
So a couple months ago I picked up another seahorse (still have the original female) from my local fish store. I like to buy them when they get them in cause they die there. Anyway it was still really young so I didn't try to sex it. Well now I know its a male. 447.jpg I can't believe its already capable of having babies! I also have another seahorse thats not the same kind as the other two.
Its bigger so I wouldn't mind getting a mate for it cause chances of ending up with babies living is higher. 444.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love seahorses, we see them diving quite often. They are so darn neat!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Sea horses are so cute I saw them at an aquirium and there were lots of them and love your pics of them.How big are yours .I have never seen them in a home tank before .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Neat photos and what fun to have them breed and enjoy the growth of the little ones!

Reaction score
Sea horses are so cute I saw them at an aquirium and there were lots of them and love your pics of them.How big are yours .I have never seen them in a home tank before .
Its hard for me to tell just how big they are because most the time they are wrapped around things in the tank. My pair of seahorse are kuda seahorses, and my best guess would be that the female is about 5 1/2 inches and the male is smaller maybe 4 1/2 (he is younger then the female). Then I have an erectus seahorse that is about 7 inches. By the way glad to see you back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
MT, in my opinion, anyone who can raise sea horses in a home tank is VERY experienced with salt water tanks! I've always envied them in the store tanks. There is a store in Indiana that has all salt water, they raise them, sell clown fish as pairs, starting pretty high priced, maybe $150 as pair? Saw baby sea horses and was sooo excited! So, what did you do with the babies? Also, don't the females impregnate the males with her eggs, then he carries and delivers them, or something like that? So funny that the males give birth. Wonder if someone could figure that out in humans ..... :grumble: :LOL: :twisted:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thank you and been a bad week and still a ways to go .Just got call from hospital for my copay and have to pay a thousand 200 hundred dollars and if I paid now I get a discount and paid now and only had to pay 850 dollars and bill is 136 thousand dollars for the hospital .Cardiac care unit is expensive place .I would love seeing them in action they must be cute as anything .I watched a coupkle of you tube video's of seahorses after you posted pics and funny how on the one video that it looked like the seahorses were playing peek a boo and I thought these ones looked smaller than yours .MT.They have several really interesting video's of them .Relaxing too and made me laugh a couple of times .CE men could not handle that they complain like crazy when they have kidney stones and have to pass them .geeze :razz: :razz: :razz:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our hospital would always negotiate down to the amount the insurance companies had to pay, usually 1/10 of the bill. The first offer was 1/2 if you paid with cash now, then they would keep dropping it to the level of what the insurance company paid. The insurance companies based their payment rate on what medicare paid.

Medicare paid based on your admitting diagnosis, i.e. if you are admitted for a headache and had a heart attack or they found cancer, medicare would only pay for the headache treatment. the written admitting diagnosis was always carefully entered. DRG's were a big issue. Diagnosis related group....i.e. a headache would only equal certain treatment and tests and length of stay, and that is all they would pay for, no matter what was found.

Reaction score
MT, in my opinion, anyone who can raise sea horses in a home tank is VERY experienced with salt water tanks! I've always envied them in the store tanks. There is a store in Indiana that has all salt water, they raise them, sell clown fish as pairs, starting pretty high priced, maybe $150 as pair? Saw baby sea horses and was sooo excited! So, what did you do with the babies? Also, don't the females impregnate the males with her eggs, then he carries and delivers them, or something like that? So funny that the males give birth. Wonder if someone could figure that out in humans ..... :grumble: :LOL: :twisted:

The seahorses that I have the babies are so small, that even when I hatched brine shrimp they were to big for them to eat. So when I got rotifers (which are smaller then brine shrimp) my male because his pouch filled up with air and even tho I got it out it stressed him so much that he died. So I haven't had any that survived. I have had saltwater tanks for 23 years, right now I have a 110 gallon, two 29 gallon and a 54 gallon all with corals.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Gosh addy that does not sound fair as symptoms of a heart attack can be maany things ,like headache ,nausea ,neck pain ,sweating and so much more than can be amagined .I have blue cross blue shield .Gosh mt why does the puch fill up with air ,I thought it would be like a kangaroo ,must have been heart breaking for you .Gosh they must be a handfull to take care of or is that just when they have babies

Reaction score
Sissy, Pouch Emphysema is characterized by air trapped in the pouch of the male seahorse. This condition, like EGBD and IGBD, can cause the seahorse to float and interfere with his ability to swim, hitch and feed. The suspected causes of PE include micro-bubbles in the aquarium and error in the hydration of carbon dioxide to carbonic acid. The micro-bubbles referred to are not those produced by air stones and water overflow to a sump, but rather the microscopic bubbles like those produced under pressure by some skimmer designs or by air leaks before water pumps.
I have a skimmer on the tank so I'm thinking thats where the tiny bubbles came from. I haven't been running the skimmer for a couple of months and now that I know I have a male I won't be using it. Just hoping that was the problem.
When I left for work Wednesday my seahorse was still pregnant but when I got home he wasn't. :sad: No babies in site, they either got sucked into the filter or eaten. :pissed: My last male seahorse use to have them in the morning before the lights on the tank came on or after the lights went off at night.

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Oh poor seahorse .I am surprised you can tell .You must really know them well .I would not have a fish tank for fear i would hurt the fish by not knowing what i am doing I get sad when i see tanks in stores with dead fish .poor things .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Darn that's disappointing mt and I was looking forward to seeing the little sea creatures :sad:
Got to see them up there in your first post tho so that was cool!

Ask a Question