Preparing tank to transport fish For winter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
I have a 29 gallon tank being filter by whisper 40 and a smaller aqua tech I gave small bio balls in the larger filter 6-7 which are alive and with bene bacteria lost power for 36 hours. Have an outdoor pond also lost power Water stats on pond are perfect. Currently have 1 comet gold fish in stock tank had The other 2 died during power outage. Before power outage water stats were fine
I took the bio balls from my pond filter and are in the tank. Have done frequent water changes using my pond water. My nitrites remain hi. I added imaagitariun bio booster used half the reconendedv doseage For 29 gallons 7 ml and thoughts my states look fine nitrite is high and maybe niitrate between 0ppm- 5.0ppm the comet stays on Bolton in The corner
should I introduce another two comets 5AE60DD0-DEA6-4D72-8555-997007824FF3.jpeg93EF2782-0555-46D4-85EF-56FFDEF6FAF6.jpegDC1181AE-CC09-4C69-9FFB-90F6FC8AFB68.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I’m just a little confused - is there a question or are you just sharing your set up? Where are you transporting the fish to? Is it just one fish?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Agree with @Lisak1, confused. Not sure I follow what you are trying to say.

Are you asking if you should add fish to a tank with high nitrites? I wouldn’t recommend that.

Also, where do you live?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
I’m just a little confused - is there a question or are you just sharing your set up? Where are you transporting the fish to? Is it just one fish?
I’m sorry just setting up the 29 gallon inside so I can bring fish from pond indoors for winter Had three comets in the tank inside was cycle ready to go lost power 2 of the three died I have one left in tank having trouble bringing down nitrites have three comets in pond outside Which I will bring into the tank inside

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Have you tested your tap water?

Is there some reason the fish can't stay outside for the winter?

If I were you, I would get some Prime and add the correct amount to the tank. Prime will bind the nitrite to keep your fish from getting damage from those levels of toxicity. Prime will last for 48 hours as a binder, so you would need to dose it every other day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Have you tested your tap water?

Is there some reason the fish can't stay outside for the winter?

If I were you, I would get some Prime and add the correct amount to the tank. Prime will bind the nitrite to keep your fish from getting damage from those levels of toxicity. Prime will last for 48 hours as a binder, so you would need to dose it every other day.
Pond isn’t deep enough for the winter my tap water is from well and is fine I did several water changes using my pond water which all water specs are fine I even used dirty media from my pond to help it cycle again

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Shrek How deep is your pond, how big is it, and where do you live?

If it’s not absolutely necessary to do so, bringing fish inside can be very stressful for them. Three fish in a 29 gallon tank (that’s already maxed), is asking for trouble! I speak from experience (not about winter care, but about trying to keep goldfish in an aquarium — it’s not impossible, but it’s a TON of extra work, keeping the water quality up.). Just something to think about.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
@Shrek How deep is your pond, how big is it, and where do you live?

If it’s not absolutely necessary to do so, bringing fish inside can be very stressful for them. Three fish in a 29 gallon tank (that’s already maxed), is asking for trouble! I speak from experience (not about winter care, but about trying to keep goldfish in an aquarium — it’s not impossible, but it’s a TON of extra work, keeping the water quality up.). Just something to think about.
[/QUOTE

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can you take the surviving fish back outside into your pond? If so, slowly acclimate it. Sounds like it is suffering.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Live in ct pond itself is only 47 gallons on 2 feet deep plan on enlarging next year familiar with First time doing a pond I understand the stress had 3 large indoor tanks 50 -75 and a 30 with well water being acidic at 6 and under but use calcium carbonate for buffer to maintain a good ph my pond outside all parameter are fine.

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Shrek Please don’t take this the wrong way, but it’s kinda hard to follow what you are saying in your posts. Your lack of punctuation or capitalization (or only capitalizing some words) makes it hard for me to grasp the content and meaning of whatever you are writing about, and I really do want to understand your posts!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Live in ct pond itself is only 47 gallons on 2 feet deep plan on enlarging next year familiar with First time doing a pond I understand the stress had 3 large indoor tanks 50 -75 and a 30 with well water being acidic at 6 and under but use calcium carbonate for buffer to maintain a good ph my pond outside all parameter are fine.
@Shrek Please don’t take this the wrong way, but it’s kinda hard to follow what you are saying in your posts. Your lack of punctuation or capitalization (or only capitalizing some words) makes it hard for me to grasp the content and meaning of whatever you are writing about, and I really do want to understand your posts!
sorry big fingers on typing and spell check not always a good thing. nitrite levels drop added an air pump Sorry for confusion

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You need a bigger container. Goldfish produce a lot LOT of waste. Even one will quickly overwhelm the 29 gallon tank with waste. I had to keep my adults in a tank to medicate for a parasite, I was doing 50%water changes every day, and still had high nitrates, that’s 2 fish, when I divided them between my two big tanks. Consider another container or even two, the biggest totes or maybe the big plastic trash cans, add air stones, filters, and cuttings of pothos, which is a common house plant that loves nitrates.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
You need a bigger container. Goldfish produce a lot LOT of waste. Even one will quickly overwhelm the 29 gallon tank with waste. I had to keep my adults in a tank to medicate for a parasite, I was doing 50%water changes every day, and still had high nitrates, that’s 2 fish, when I divided them between my two big tanks. Consider another container or even two, the biggest totes or maybe the big plastic trash cans, add air stones, filters, and cuttings of pothos, which is a common house plant that loves nitrates.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
If I get a pond de- icee will that work I would rather not move fish I only have three comets about 3 inches right now I rather not move them And keep in pond the pond portion is about 35-40 gallons I have plans next year to get bigger. Is their one you can recommend if this is something that would work
Thanks

Ask a Question