Prepping Lotus Plant for the Winter

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had my lotus for 2.5 years and it has basically gone dormant for the winter. I wanted to split the tuber and store it away until spring, but I'm not entirely confident on how to do so. Does anyone have experience with this or know how to properly split a tuber and prep it to be stored for the winter?
Any guides and/or videos are also welcome. Thank you in advance

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
calling @mrsclem , oh @mrsclem ; be ye available to help this poor lass/laddie out, don'tcha know??

Perhaps @addy1 can come down from her Castle-on-a-Hill for just a wee moment????

{damn; can't find the Scottish smilie; we just gotta start slipping either addy or Ian more pesos, this is just depressing...}

smile-alt1-merged-layers3.gif

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hello @greatbarrierreef - I have a lot of lotus but have never divided them in the fall. I always do mine in the spring so I an see where the grow points are. There are a lot of good videos online that show how to divide lotus tubers. Can you just bring the pot in or put it deep into a pond? You just need to make sure it does not freeze solid.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine run free, in their own pond, so I have never divided them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Mine run free, in their own pond, so I have never divided them.
why do I suddenly hear Andy Williams' 'Born Free' echoing among the hallowed halls of GPF???

[I'll stop you right now; no, they haven't upped my meds and no, I don't wanna lie down, and for sure no, I don't see nothing but 4 fingers when you hold up your hand. Sheesh! What's a guy gotta do to get a few saltines around here?]

smilie sword twirl.gif
smile-alt1-merged-layers3.gif

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
why do I suddenly hear Andy Williams' 'Born Free' echoing among the hallowed halls of GPF???

[I'll stop you right now; no, they haven't upped my meds and no, I don't wanna lie down, and for sure no, I don't see nothing but 4 fingers when you hold up your hand. Sheesh! What's a guy gotta do to get a few saltines around here?]

View attachment 144203View attachment 144204
Are you sure? They were only holding up 3 fingers btw!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

View attachment 144203View attachment 144204
lOOKS LIKE @brokensword DESIRE TO COME UP WITH AN EMOGI TO Squre me has created a monster

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
gotcha

Last edited:

Ask a Question