Resource icon

Prepping your pond for the winter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave 54 submitted a new article:

Prepping your pond for the winter - "take these simple steps".

We all dont want to think aboput it just yet but ahead of us is winter and we need to be ready for it so that your fish will have a stress free winter in their ponds.

1) If you own vortex style filters drain and clean them in Late Autumn , if your filters are the non vortex style of filtration give it a good clean

2) Make sure to renew airstones and cleaned the latacework of jap matting.

3) Replace zeolite rocks with a charged bag of them putting the other bag on charge

4) Replace...

Read more about this article...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
No the policarbonate roofing sheets stop the formation of ice on the pond by keeping the temperature regulated to between 7c-9c and even with and external temperature -15c the ice wont form bellow the roofing sheets because the temperature of the water is 7c, 9c at its highest.
We built into the whole build, "insulation of the pond pipes and filterhousing" .
We also trickle feed our water changes into the pond, again with no marked lowering of temperature .

Dave

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Good article. Thankfully it does not apply to myself or others that live in ice-free zones. During the Winter, it is business as usual with us.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Good article. Thankfully it does not apply to myself or others that live in ice-free zones. During the Winter, it is business as usual with us.
I know you do get freezing temperatures from time to time Meyer its just it doesnt last that long "you Lucky , Lucky, People" and thanx foor the heads up my friend .

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yeh but we are lucky also we get a rest from the gardens and all the ponding work to be done .Plus i like to see a little snow and some brisk cool days as long as it is not as cold as NJ winters .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've toyed with the idea of covering our pond. I've seen some hoop designs, but they seem to collapse with a heavy snow. I'll probably stick with our fine mesh net,aerators, de icer and maybe give the Pond Breather another try.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Its a time I hate @sissy,@Tula you cant see whats going on bellow the covers and there are some days you have to force yourself just to go out in the freezing cold to check up on them, or to do a water change but we do it because we love our fish :happy:
Dont you agree ? .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I love this time of year by the pond. Everything looks so beautiful, the water is crystal clear and the fish so active....wish it could be this way year round.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I loved it after i installed my cameras last year .Just look at the monitor and i can see the pond 24/7 best 100 dollars i ever spent .I actually bought another set of the elec cameras and have mounted 1 camera right down by the pond and it is even better .The other one is mounted up under the front porch and pointed at the pond the other 6 cameras are of the yard, the decks out back and the side door and the driveway and basement door .I actually got the second set cheaper so that was even better

Ask a Question