Pressurized Filter issue

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just got my pond installed at my new house. I bought a new 2100 gph pump and a pressurized filter that is sized for my pond. I used 1" hose as recommended. My pump pumps water like a fire hose until I connect it to the filter. it just comes out slowly. If I turn the filter to discharge it comes out like a firehose again. I had to put my old pump and filter from my old house so the fish are ok. They all look happy and I am getting the plants in this weekend but need to fix the filter issue soon.

So something is wrong with the filter but I don't know what or is there something I can do?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
2100 gph through a one inch hose is allot of pressure. You can get a pump that pumps less gph or you can increase the size of the pipe. Both with decrease the pressure. Do you know how gph the pump that operates your filter is supposed to be?

Reaction score
Country
United States
All the filter says is up to 1000 gal pond and to use 1" hose. The pump itself is pumping a lot of water, but it literally trickles out the outlet on the filter, barely enough to even move the water.

Jebao CBF-4000 Bio Pressurized Filter with 13-Watt UV, 1000 gal

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
61WK1WPsPZL__SL1338_.jpg
This filter as seen in this picture has pipe reducers that would limit the flow if you are using them. Also noted a dial on the top that allows you to switch which outlets and inlets function are you sure these are set correctly? The reducers in the photo show the reduces taking the pipe size down to 1/4 inch I would guess, that could be could be the problem if you are using them.
Their is also this:
"The jebao cbf-4000 pressurized filter has an integrated 13-watt uvc for improved clarity of pond water. There is an indicator light for uvc function monitoring. Easy clean technology for simple and convenient cleaning without having to open the filter. The cbf-4000 can be installed either above water level or recessed into the ground beside the pond up to the filter lid. Recommend pump size: 500-1500 gallon per hour.
So if you are running a 2100 gph pump you have to large of a pump. Amazon recommends a 1000 gph pump.
Something is restricting the flow of water. Can you take pictures of your set up this would allow myself and others to help you better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
You might be able to use your current pump, if you cut the reducing "nipples" on the line returning to the pond from the filter, thus creating a bigger line; however, it will pretty much render your UV useless, as you'll be moving water by it too fast to be effective.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes, if you’re set up has them but you don’t cut the pipe reducers (or nipples) down to size, you’re gonna get reduced flow. Another member recently had this same issue with a piece of her equipment.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I did cut the reducers down to the 1" size. I don't understand how a bigger pump would output less water? Wouldnt it just go thru faster? I will take a few pics and upload them tonight.

I purchased a larger pump because in the past I have had issues with the right pump size but then it would have a very slow rate of flow due to the height I am bringing the water up and out of the pond to go thru the filter. This pond, I am bringing the water up 28" from the intake, in the bottom of the pond, up to the pump which is outside the pond. It then feeds the filter, which sits 12" to the right, outside the pond, also connected via a 1" hose.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is the pump so it can be looked up on Amazon

Flexzion Pond Pump Submersible Adjustable Frequency Inline Aquarium Fountain Waterfall Koi Fish Salt Fresh Water Filter with Set of Outlet Adapter

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I did cut the reducers down to the 1" size. I don't understand how a bigger pump would output less water? Wouldnt it just go thru faster? I will take a few pics and upload them tonight.
I don’t know much about the actual laws of physics, but I do recall some stuff from my past nursing — and there is something about the input pressure having an effect on the fluid dynamics, osmosis, all that sciency stuff...... So, that’s probably why pressure filters and such list a min/max pump size. Now, I’m not the least bit trying to sound like I know what I’m talking about......just saying there might really be a reason.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Here is the pump so it can be looked up on Amazon

Flexzion Pond Pump Submersible Adjustable Frequency Inline Aquarium Fountain Waterfall Koi Fish Salt Fresh Water Filter with Set of Outlet Adapter

To a pump that large a rise of a couple of feet is not significant. That data should be in the owner’s manual and is referred to as lift height of the pump.

You have twice the recommended size of pump for the filter. “Water is going in like a firehose” and coming out in a trickle, so something is obstructing the flow.

I agree with Colleen in that first and foremost you have too small of a filter for the pump or too much pump for your filter. I think when you address this your system will work a whole lot better.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
You could also put a splitter valve on the output of the pump and direct part of the flow to the filter and part of the flow to general water circulation.
What is the water volume of the pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
You could also put a splitter valve on the output of the pump and direct part of the flow to the filter and part of the flow to general water circulation.
What is the water volume of the pond?
Yes, was thinking just that on the way home from work(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
The splitter idea is a good one. Maybe a diverter valve so you can adjust it.
I had somewhat of a similar problem. My pressure filter came with adapters on the inlet and outlet. They were sized in steps. My pump is a 3600 GPH and it was trickling out because those adapters were restricting it. I was using 1-1/2" hose, but had a brain fart by not cutting the adapters to the bigger size size of my hose. Once I cut the smaller steps off those adapters, it flowed much better. I don't know if your's is the same, but thought I'd throw it out there.
Maybe your hose should be larger than 1"?

Ask a Question