pressurized filter question

Reaction score
Country
United States
Never used the pressurized pond filter so please bear with me ; )

I have the filter,pump, and tubing. I am trying to picture in my mind the set up. One tube will pull water from the pond and the other will refill, correct? We bought a small basin type liner to place at one end of the pond to make a small waterfall. Do I place the "refill tube" in the top basin or in the pond itself? If it goes directly into the pond I'm not sure how to get the water flow from the "main" pond to the upper basin so that the water will drop back down into the pond.

I hope I'm making sense.....

Reaction score
Yes one line goes from the pump in the pond to the input of the filter. The other line goes from the output of the filter to the upper liner thingy. You would want the output line to be bigger than the input line to prevent too much pressure from building up. One thing I worry about here is one of your hose connections coming apart or the output hose not getting all the water into the upper basin, and your pump emptying your pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
About the hose connection coming apart. Do you mean if the filter was on the ground and not in the pond? And I had also thought about the output water line getting bumped out of the basin and being a problem as well. I wonder if I could use some rocks to kinda hold it in place?

Thanks for the tip on the size of the tubing. I was wondering why it said you could use 3/4 inch or 1 inch tubing with the filter. It never mentioned needing both. Hmmm....Looks like another trip to the store.

Oh, Another question. Will I need to use clamps to hold the tubing in place or does it just slide on like with an aquarium pump?

Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't realize this was a filter that will be in the pond? That would surely make it less likely to empty the pond if there is a problem. As far as securing the line that goes to the top tub, I guess I would have to see pics to give suggestions. I do use hose clamps on my connections to reduce the likelihood of accidents.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The label on the filter says it can be used inside or outside the pond.

I assume the safer thing would be to put it inside the pond? Should it be sitting on the bottom of the pond or up on cinder blocks? (I had read that the pump should be on cinder blocks) We are going to dig the pond to 3 feet on one end and slop down to 4 at the other end.

I will definately get clamps to hold the lines on.

Reaction score
I prefer to have my filters outside of the water for a few reasons. The first one is ease of maintenance. The second is that I want all of the stuff that I am filtering out of the water, to be out of the water. Third, I do not want the output of the filter have to flow up and out of the pond and then even up higher so that it can waterfall back into the pond. The output line should be as short as possible. That's just me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
You should have an Input, Output, and backwash/flush connections. I keep mine outside of the pond since it contains a 13w UV and I use 3/4" Hot Water Heater Irrigation Hose with a 1/8" (.125) side wall and use clamps on all connections for peace of mind. My Filter is 2.5 gallons and is buried up to about 1" below the lid, I also only use 3/4" in and 3/4" out as my filter is rated for a 1,000 - 1,500gph pump but I only run a Pondmaster 950gph to it to get more pressure in my spitter and circulation outlet on the pond floor.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Still struggling with what to do with this filter.....

I have a pressurized filter that states it is for 850 gallon pond. I have a pump rated at 1200 GPH. Is that a problem? At the moment I am using the filter from the old pond in the new pond as I'm not sure how this is going to all work out.

The other question that has come up is the tubing clamps. I bought three different size nylon clamps (from an online pond supply) in an attempt to make sure I had the correct size for any tubing I had for the pond. I am using a black corrugated tubing made/sold in the pond section of the store. None of the clamps fits any of the tubes. What am I doing wrong?

Also, My husband seems to think it's okay to use stainless/metal clamps from the hardware store. I'm afraid to use those in and even around the pond. Anyone know if it's safe?

Reaction score
bettasngoldfish said:
Also, My husband seems to think it's okay to use stainless/metal clamps from the hardware store. I'm afraid to use those in and even around the pond. Anyone know if it's safe?
koiguy1969 said:
my post dissappeared...to lazy to retype....so no comment!
I think what Koiguy was going to say is that you should listen to your husband. ;)

Ask a Question