Pretty colors in your fireplace or outdoor fire pit

Reaction score
A recent conversation reminded me of an old trick to make your outdoor fire interesting and pretty.

Use a short piece of copper water pipe (6-12 inches length) and large enough diameter to slide a good rubber garden hose into the pipe. Drill a series of holes throughout the length of the copper tube and shove the garden hose into the copper pipe (cut the garden hose to the same length). Toss a few of these pipes into your outdoor firepit and watch the show!

It is very pretty!

You can also try this...

Acquire several large panels of safety glass. Break them into small pieces by striking the glass panel with a center punch.
Gather the broken fragments (the fragments will all be about or less than 1/4" in size). Put these glass fragments in a glass vessel, like a broken, clear, glass carboy or a semi-transluscent glass planter pot.

Use some stainless steel 1/4 inch tubing and pipe fittings and a small BBQ grill burner and connect this to your LP gas grill bottle or natural gas outlet from your house.

Place the BBQ grill burner at the bottom of the glass pot and cover it with the broken safety glass fragments. Add some copper filings near the top layer of the broken glass, open the valve slightly and light the flame.

We call it "Fire and Ice", but we didn't coin that phrase, they just sell 'em under that name now.

And yes, before anyone says anything about it, I know all about the safety concerns involved. However, I am a redneck from Nebraska and we have done a lot worse than this! Trust me, if you are wise and careful, there is very little danger here. If you trust yourself lighting and cooking on a standard propane grill, you will be just as safe with this. Just make sure that the kids aren't running about it and don't leave it unattended.

It is doggone pretty!

Gordy

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sounds neat Gordy! Maybe I can talk honey into trying it.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Never seen the fire and ice, but I do the copper quite often. I remember my grandpa doing it when we went camping, and now i do it for my kids when we have fires in the backyard. The hose does help, but just throwing in pieces of copper directly in the center of the fire works too, I bring home a handfull of copper slugs from work and I'll just toss those in the fire instead of tubing sometimes.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
A recent conversation reminded me of an old trick to make your outdoor fire interesting and pretty.

Use a short piece of copper water pipe (6-12 inches length) and large enough diameter to slide a good rubber garden hose into the pipe. Drill a series of holes throughout the length of the copper tube and shove the garden hose into the copper pipe (cut the garden hose to the same length). Toss a few of these pipes into your outdoor firepit and watch the show!

It is very pretty!

You can also try this...

Acquire several large panels of safety glass. Break them into small pieces by striking the glass panel with a center punch.
Gather the broken fragments (the fragments will all be about or less than 1/4" in size). Put these glass fragments in a glass vessel, like a broken, clear, glass carboy or a semi-transluscent glass planter pot.

Use some stainless steel 1/4 inch tubing and pipe fittings and a small BBQ grill burner and connect this to your LP gas grill bottle or natural gas outlet from your house.

Place the BBQ grill burner at the bottom of the glass pot and cover it with the broken safety glass fragments. Add some copper filings near the top layer of the broken glass, open the valve slightly and light the flame.

We call it "Fire and Ice", but we didn't coin that phrase, they just sell 'em under that name now.

And yes, before anyone says anything about it, I know all about the safety concerns involved. However, I am a redneck from Nebraska and we have done a lot worse than this! Trust me, if you are wise and careful, there is very little danger here. If you trust yourself lighting and cooking on a standard propane grill, you will be just as safe with this. Just make sure that the kids aren't running about it and don't leave it unattended.

It is doggone pretty!

Gordy
have you burned down anything with your turkey fryer .My neighbor put his under his carport last year and burned the carport to the ground

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was reading about the fumes that copper can give off and also wonder about the effects on a chimney and surrounding vegetation and maybe the pond .Not sure how accurate those are but makes me wonder .

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
I was reading about the fumes that copper can give off and also wonder about the effects on a chimney and surrounding vegetation and maybe the pond .Not sure how accurate those are but makes me wonder .

I dont know about the vegetation, but if theres already rubber hose in there already, I'm sure not sitting downwind of that smoke anyway to breathe in those fumes.

Really those issues can be caused from long term exposure and in high doses.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well my chimney pot is 4 metres high so it carries the smoke away from my vegitation and pond !! sod the neighbours lol
mogsie what you going to do when all your neighbors die LOL .That is true catfishnut as the reports don't speak about how long you have to be exposed or how long it take's to show effects .I guess without a long term test no one will know just like asbestos and lead in water pipes and paint and also gases coming from the ground and radiation .I was looking at some of the tests on granite countertops and how some granite from other countries can set off a geiger counter and I guess all tests take time.I guess everything is live and learn .

Reaction score
Sissy,

There are no worries about the fumes from the copper or the hose. They don't give off that much of a volume and the heat of the fire generally lofts it up in the air and it blows away over your head (or your pond and plants). Also, you don't put but just a couple or maybe three pipes in the fire at a time and you don't do it all the time, just once in a while.

I don't think I would put the pipes with garden hose in one of the "Fire and Ice" pits. The copper tubing would be ok, but the garden hose might mess up the glass. You want the glass to stay clean and pretty.

Gordy

Reaction score
second thought mogsie I like you but glad I'm not your neighbor ,no offense
and ive been looking at properties in axton virginia !! lol, nah i wouldnt try it while the neighbours are out, (well maybe him at number 73 !!! hmm) lol, i would try it at night just to see, i imagine it would be one of those things you try once and say " oh yeah that looks nice" then prob never do it again !!

Ask a Question