Prevent Algae in waterfall

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Is there a clear paint to prevent Algae from sticking on the flat surface on a waterfall?

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
algae on rocks is perfectly natural, and you dont really want to completly rid it. If you need to get rid of the algae, you could scrub the rocks on occasion, but I would reccomend leaving it be, although for a more deataild answer we would need more info about your setup.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Its not the rocks its a 4x4 flat flagstone surface the water from the waterfall runs on then drops into the pond.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No, I don’t believe there is anything you can paint on that will prevent algae. Algae is going to grow on just about any surface.

Is there a particular reason you don’t want algae in this particular spot?Please post a picture of your problem area and maybe we can help come up with solutions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Maybe you have a good reason for getting rid of the growth on the rocks.
Personally I like moss or algae growing on the rocks. Seems like a natural thing and it looks nice. I strive for the natural look in and around my pond.
But, again, you might have a good reason.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
There's nothing that will prevent it permanently, but you could use hydrogen peroxide or sodium per carbonate from time to time to clear it. Being that it's a flat surface, it would be very easy to just shut off the waterfall, dose it with either product, let it sit for 20 minutes or so and turn it back on.

Alternatively, you could just shut the waterfall down on a hot day and let the sun bake it. But if the waterfall is connected to your filter, that's not a good solution.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This is after I pressure washed it today.It was black before.

Attachments

• 20200907_182006.jpg
    20200907_182006.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 103
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I get a build up of what I call 'carpet algae' (because it's sort of a heavy coating, like... carpet! lol) on my flat rock sections of the waterfall/stream area. If it gets so thick it's diverting the water flow, or it's aesthetically bothering me & I don't have any more pressing chores to complete, I simply rub it off & remove it by hand. I'm not going for 'brand new clean' though, just enough to see the rocks again.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That's probably more biofilm than algae, but in either case if you can power wash it off then that's probably your best option.

Ask a Question