Preventing catastrophic pond events

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
when I started my pond this summer, I had one of my pump hoses come loose but luckily my wife spotted it early and we only lost about 25% of the water. I have two Maxflo pumps and last weekend, I placed it on a cinderblock which gave it 8 inches water which can't be pumped out should this happens again. Will having the pump elevated cause problems in cleaning the pond properly? Are there other ideas to prevent another potential catastrophic event?

Reaction score
You could install a automatic water feeder for about $10 dollars. Also if you have a skimmer put the pump in the skimmer. Worst case would be that the pump would be so strong that the skimmer would be emptied out and the auto feeder couldn't keep up. You could also add a shut off to the pump.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You could install a automatic water feeder for about $10 dollars.

What kind of autofill is only $10?

We didn't add ours only because we... well, we forgot! By the time we realized it, it was too much effort to take the plumbing apart and install it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
I have one of those autofills for my pond. They are designed to fill stock tanks for animals but work well for ponds

Ask a Question