Probably THIS IS THE ULTIMATE PLANT FOR GARDEN POND?

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Okay this just an info based on my research, cos my water always has high ph

this topic related to aquaponic, bog filter/garden etc..
The most ideal condition for plant to grow mostly in acidic , PH : 6-7 for the best for sure...

And plant eat nitrate from fish waste, decaying stuff etc

But nitrification process (nitrosomonas and nitrobacter ) love oxygenated, and more high pH to thrive and procesing ammonia>nitrite>nitrate

So the condition is very very contradictive

Plant can absorb nutrient (nitrate & other nutrient IN acidic condition BUT the bactery that provide nitrate grow well in alkaline condition)

Aquaponic people still thinking the best pH is 6-7, they said, nitrification process still happen in acidic water BUT in small quantities, when the environment become more mature, let say 1 year or more, the nitrosomonas and nitrobacter number increase, so that's why the more mature the growbed, plant growth become better

I think it's the same for bog garden / filter too

Then.... Why not have an alkaline bog plant ? I mean plant that naturally grow in high pH and hard water ?
Cos they're evolve to absorb nutrient in that condition efficiently... particularly can easily absorb alot of fresh nitrate from nitrification process ?

I just found 1 plant that can thrive in many condition even the very hard & high pH,
it's called
SAGITTARIA LATIFOLIA /DUCK POTATO

so what else ????

Last edited:

Ask a Question