Problem removing "Lizard's tail" from pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
A few years ago we planted Lizard's tail in our 1000 gall pond in CT. However, it grows much too well and it has been a battle controlling it. The plant would have taken over the whole pond if I had not pulled out all I could each spring and fall when we take the net is off (for removing lilies). But it impossible to get every root as they are between and under big rocks that form the edge of the pond. So I am thinking about spraying Lizard's Tail with RoundUp (or equivalent). Some RoundUp will doubtless get in the pond, but it's not toxic to fish at the very low concentration that would in the pond. Anyone been successful in controlling Lizard's Tail this way? Or other suggestions?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
All weed killers are toxic no matter how small a concentration .Even miles away it can kill fish .I have seen it here when the spray the power towers to kill weeds .My neighbors farm pond was effected bad .Killed the fish and could have effected his cows and had to have people come in to access damage .He is almost 2 miles away from the spray area

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hi @keyworth63 !

I am not a big fan of RoundUp - I won't get into all the reasons why, but I would never spray it anywhere in my yard, let alone my pond. I'll pull weeds (or unwanted plants) all day long before I'll let Monsanto get anywhere near me, my fish, my gardens (some of which I eat), my pets, or any other living thing. My neighbor sprays it on the fence line between our yards and it almost kills me to watch him do it.

I've got lizard's tail in my pond for six years now - it's never gotten as big as what you're describing. Do you have other plants growing in the pond? Can you share a picture?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Remove the rocks, remove the roots, clean out the muck, and leave the roundup in the bottle if you want to be sure the fish will be unaffected. There was an article years ago about a lady who had a flea problem and sprayed her yard with pyrethrum. The mist drifted into her 400 gallon pond filled with goldfish, just a little mist. When she turned around to look a the pond her goldfish were frantically jumping out of the pond to get away from the insecticide. She lost a couple dozen fish. No one is saying that roundup will do the same thing, but the literature recommends to never treat the soil under the liner with insecticide, never spray near the pond and always build the pond with at least a four inch lip to prevent ground water intrusions. Just saying.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had an issue with lizards tail in my bog. It got into the fold of the liner in the corner and drained my bog! I was sure I had a leak till I pulled the cap boards. Get as many roots as possible and just stay on top of looking for new growth. Be careful where you put the plants, I now have it growing on the hillside above my ponds! No Roundup!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine has stayed under control I just yank it out now and then, no folds to get into where it is.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Interesting. I was shocked when my lizard tails didn’t come back this year. Winter was bad but all my other plants came back. I was kinda bummed.

Ask a Question