problem with fertilizers

rdk

Reaction score
I have been trying to get to the bottom of this question from some time.Fertilizer companies for some time seem to be giving me the run around or just plain don't want to talk about it. Some of these chemicals have ammonia products in them. Do they release ammonia in the pond? They say they are safe for fish but are they? I like the thought of big plants growing in the pond but are they safe for fish? Please let me know.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I think was DrDave and a few other ponders don't use any commercial fertalizers in their pond plants. I used some this last year, and all of my plants did quite well.

This next year I'm going to take their lead and stop using any fertalizers all together. I would agree that with the amount of fish and frogs in my pond all of my plants should get plenty of nutrients just from my small ecosystem.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you are correct Oldmarine, both Dr.Dave and I have made many posts to that point, pea gravel and small stones are an ideal planting medium. they allow water to flow aroud and thru the root systems of both submerged and marginals for direct absorbion of nutrients. pull your plants out of the clay based media they come in rinse the roots well and simply replant in peagravel...and a $4.00 bag of pea gravel goes along way!! put a few larger stones(prefferably lava rock, the fish hate the rough texture) to keep your fish from digging in the gravel. and poke extra holes in the side of pot to allow more water movement

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
koiguy,

Thanks for the outstanding advice from both you, DrDave, and many others. My pond quality is evolving little by little. Next year I should have even better results with the overall health of my fish and pond.

Thanks again,

Ask a Question