Problem

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have two koi and two fold fish the last two day they have been flashing and rubbing up against stuff and not eating today it has been hundred degrees here. I check the water twice a day and everything been fine I don't know what's going on i am new at this

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1594084077725.gif
@ksstar
Maybe they are just spawning.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
We need a LOT more information about your pond.

>Can you post some pictures of the pond?

>How old is the pond? Is it new?

>Do you have a good liquid type test kit? The type with test strips are known for inaccuracy. There could be a high concentration of ammonia, especially if you have too many fish and inadequate filtration.

>How many gallons is your pond?

>How many fish, how big and what type?

>You mentioned the air temperature, what is the water temperature? Higher temps can reduce oxygen levels.

>Do you have and aerator, air stone or at least a lot of water movement or splashing to help with oxygen levels?

>Tell us about your filtration.

>Are there any plants in your pond?

>Is there any possible way some type of chemicals could have washed into the pond from rain runnoff?

>Hopefully you haven't added any so-called fish friendly chemicals like algaecide. Please stay away from those.

>Have you added water that might be chlorinated? You'll need a dechlorinizing water conditioner to counteract the chlorine.

>Sorry, that's a lot of questions! But we need to know some things in order to help.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@ksstar Hello and welcome!

Fixing a pond / fish problem is like going to see your doctor for a headache. Your doctor has to look at you, ask a bunch of questions, take vital signs, and maybe do lab work. He or she will use the information he/she gets to figure out what’s causing the headache and to decide on a treatment plan. It might seem that we should instantly be able to tell you what’s wrong — if there is anything wrong, but it’s an investigative process. We’re not being rude or evasive.

Anyway, your answers will go a long way in letting us help you. And if it’s spawning behavior, then congratulations might be in order!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Have you added anything but water recently, fish, plants, decorations from another pond? If so, you might have added parasites. We can’t diagnose the problem on the little info we have, so if you can answer, we can help you resolve the problem

Reaction score
Country
United States
No i have not added a thing to it!! But their appetite has gone down! And it has been really hot here so I don't know if the weather has something to do with it or if I should do a salt dip just to rule out parasites

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a uv pump and filter 30 days old I use liquid test kit i have two air it 1000 gallons and its12 years old I don't use chemical around the pond have added no new water yes I do have some floating lettuce but have been in there for 6 months

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My koi have backed off on food and are hanging out on the bottom. Temps in 80s for last 9 days! I ha e always cut back on feeding if water temps get over 85.

Ask a Question