Problems in the 35gall Stock tank

Reaction score
In my small 'water garden' which was water hyacinth with a few guppies everything was going great, seemed balanced. I had a huge tadpole issue, so I decided to add two feeder goldfish to see if they would help with the tadpoles. They did.

Then I went on vacation and my sister was assigned the job of feeding the fish in the front gardens, well she overfed them and fed them at night (when they can't even see the food), I came back to string algae in the pond and of course the hyacinths are struggling, they do not do well in any situation with algae (seriously question how they are considered one of the world's worst weeds when they are so difficult to grow!).

I plan to take out the feeder golds today, see if the pond will clear up with less of a load in there. There is no real filteration in the small ponds. Just a pump with some quilt batting on it

Wonder if I can do a small amount of peroxide in there to kill off the algae, see if the hyacinths will catch up. But how much would I use in a 35 gall pond?

Any suggestions?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used to use a liter for 1000 gallons of water. 1 liter is 1000 ml's so maybe 35 ml's to start, that is the 3% drugstore type peroxide. Add more slowly if it does not do the job.

Reaction score
In something that small why not just do a couple large water changes to help clear the water? For that matter you could also net the critters out and dump the water and refill with fresh water. I imagine that would take care of it.

Yeah, I think I might go with this idea. Not sure why I didn't think of this before.

Off to bake some chocolate cake. My baby turns 3 tomorrow (not sure what I thinking having him on the 1st of Sept - his birthday will always be the first day of school!!!).

And here's my baking tip for anyone interested - instead of cupcakes, I bake my cake in jars (baby food jars or the small mason jars - don't over fill the jars), then you can put the lid on and they stay moist and soft for days. I don't ice them until we are ready to eat, but in my house 9 out of 10 times we skip icing.

Ask a Question