Problems with 2 Laguna UV Sterilizers in a Row.

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
Hi all, I have been using a Laguna UV light for 3 years to help keep the water clean, recently the LED has gone out on the unit and the bulb went bad on the inside. I decided to replace the entire unit and the 2 replacement units were faulty, the first one didn't work at all and the 2nd worked for 24 hours and then the LED was out again.

They are sending a 3rd unit Thursday, could I just have had 2 bad units in a row or what else could be causing the problems? Laguna says the green LED light on the UV pump should always be lit, is that true?

Here is the Laguna UV light I've been using for 3 years.

Thank you,
Shane

UV Light.PNG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know mine says it needs protected from weather .Does yours say that any wheres .I don't have laguna ones and not sure if it is the same with all brands .I bought mine off ebay and it was 30 dollars with extra bulbs and have had it 2 years now

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
Update: I am having issues with the 3rd replacement NEW Laguna UV light. It has the green light when it arrives new in box, then I plug the inlet and out, turn pumps on and the green light goes off.

1. Anyone know if the bulb is shorting or if the unit is going bad?
2. Should the bulb have alge on it or get wet? see attached pics, should the water be protected from the UV bulb or is there a leak somewhere?
3. I am still needing to get a replacement unit, what could be causing problems in the seal, shortage or similar issues where they work for a few minutes and then short?

No other pumps on my power outlet are causing issues and are working fine with and without this UV setup.
And I used this same setup with existing pumps for 4 years now, any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Shane

Attachments

• UV light 1.PNG
    UV light 1.PNG
    147.2 KB · Views: 335
  • UV light 2.PNG
    UV light 2.PNG
    168.4 KB · Views: 955

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
I spoke to Laguna and they said I need to run the Wet Test for 24 hours without Power. anyone hear of that?

Any thoughts on this before I request a 4th unit?

Sent: Monday, April 13, 2015 12:40 PM
To: (e-mail address removed)
Subject: Wet Test Info

Filter Wet Test

Once the unit is fully assembled, it must be wet tested before connecting to the

power supply. This test must be repeated whenever the lamp and the quartz sleeve

are changed or disassembled.

1) Install the filter and connect it to the pump following all installation instructions. Do

NOT switch on the filter. Switch on the pump only and let it run for 24 hours.

2) After 24 hours, switch off the pump and remove the UV-C head (A) from filter by

unscrewing the 4 screws (J). Do not disassemble more parts.

3) Inspect inside the quartz sleeve (C) for leaks. If you see water inside the quartz

sleeve and around the lamp, do NOT connect the unit to power supply but carry it

to an authorized Laguna service facility or similar qualified person for verification.

If on the contrary no water is visible inside the quartz sleeve (C), carefully reassemble

the unit and use it normally according to this Installation and Maintenance Guide.

Thank you,

Caren Arsenault

Rolf C. Hagen (USA) Corp.

305 Forbes Blvd.

Mansfield, MA 02048

Tel: 508-339-9531

Fax: 508.339.6973

http://www.hagen.com

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
They are sending a 4th replacement unit and suggested I do a WET test for 24 hours without Power to the UV.

I'm trying to understand is that required, since I did not do that on the previous 3 did I cause the Problem or were they leaking from the factory?

Thank you,
Shane

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
They are sending a 4th replacement unit and suggested I do a WET test for 24 hours without Power to the UV.

I'm trying to understand is that required, since I did not do that on the previous 3 did I cause the Problem or were they leaking from the factory?

Thank you,
Shane
Sounds to me like their wet test is a way of making sure the lamp assembly isn't leaking before you turn the electricity to the bulb on and frying the unit if it's wet. I would think a factory assembled unit wouldn't leak, and if it did that would be a manufacturing defect. Not testing for a manufacturing defect in materials and workmanship isn't causing the defect.

Does you installation have an unusually high pressure or head height past the light?

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
Does you installation have an unusually high pressure or head height past the light?
Thanks for your note, no my setup has been this same way for 4 years. I just ordered a replacement UV filter and bulb for $299 and all 3 have been defective after I have Power going to the UV light.

I agree, it is strange I am starting a new product with the Wet Test but I will do that with my new unit tomorrow.
Any other suggestions?

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
Update: the 4th unit was the Charm. Anyone else have a similar experience where 3 units were defective in a row?

I installed the replacement UV sterilizer and did the WET test where I just had a pump running through the UV but no power. After about 6 hours, I checked the UV, it was DRY so then I turned on power on both the Pump and the UV and we have been good since then.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know my neighbor blew out her uv because she was putting to much water into it because she for got to hit the bypass a little to divert some of the water from the new pump which has higher gph .

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
I know my neighbor blew out her uv because she was putting to much water into it because she for got to hit the bypass a little to divert some of the water from the new pump which has higher gph .
I was thinking that but I've been using this same setup with UV and then x amount of GPH pump for 3+ years now and it's working on the replacement unit fine. So the previous 3 units were defective, they were either getting water on the UV bulb and causing a short or some of the bulbs were breaking either during shipping or once the pump came on.

Good to have it fixed, just strange the previous 3 did not work with the same setup.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Surges from storms can cause damage to them also .All my outlets by the pond are on switch's inside my house just in case .They are on a none protected breaker box .I want to have the whole house surge protector put on that breaker box also .I keep forgetting about it since only things in that breaker box are the pond and basement .The other 2 breaker boxes have it installed in the box

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
I just wish I knew what a decent pressure filter was. every time I look them up people trash them being too easy to leak or just plain fall apart.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
True I have 2 that I bought years ago and they are garden treasure ones that were clearanced out at lowes for for 20 dollars with a built in UV .They work OK on my stock tanks .I have to back flush them everyday when I have baby fish in the stock tanks .They have never leaked and I protect them from weather and sun to keep the plastic from getting brittle .I think I bought them back in 2010 but not sure .

Ask a Question