Problems with Algea

denny

Winter in PA
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hello I am new to this forum, but i have a 1200 Gallon Goldfish pond for the past 13 years now. Up until the last two years i never had a problem with algae. I bought a 36 watt from jeabo in 2013 & have had algae since. So this year i bought a 36 watt from odessea. It has been running for about a week & i don't it has gotten any better. Does anyone have any advice?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome :) Could you provide us with a few more details about your pond, so we may better help you? It's possible your fish have grown , or multiplied, over the years...leading to more algae. Again, welcome.

denny

Winter in PA
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome :) Could you provide us with a few more details about your pond, so we may better help you? It's possible your fish have grown , or multiplied, over the years...leading to more algae. Again, welcome.
My pond was cleaned out two years & we went back two six fish, but now there are about 35. My pump is about 800 Gallon per hour and is about 24' below the light. Is it possible that the light ballast is not doing what it is supposed to do ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
35 fish is a lot for 1200 gallons. Your pump turnover is low, is should be 1200 - 2000 gph, so you could have a buildup of detritus that is fuelling the algae growth.
Are you talking about floating algae or hair algae?
How much do you feed your fish?
Do you have any plants?
Have you done any water tests?
A picture would help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
UV lights are not effective on string / hair algae , not sure if this is the type of algae you have. If the pond is overstocked, there is more fish waste, which in turn feeds an algae bloom. I have found aeration to be helpful with algae, could you consider an aerator?

denny

Winter in PA
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
35 fish is a lot for 1200 gallons. Your pump turnover is low, is should be 1200 - 2000 gph, so you could have a buildup of detritus that is fuelling the algae growth.
Are you talking about floating algae or hair algae?
How much do you feed your fish?
Do you have any plants?
Have you done any water tests?
A picture would help.
Floating algae and i only feed what they can eat in about ten minutes. Never did water test. I posted a picture. thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I guess you're talking about your avatar as the picture.
Limited information, so I would say overstocked and low water flow is contributing to your algae problems.
Reduce the number of fish, reduce the feedings, do a large water change, increase water flow so your filter can clean the water better. (as long as your filter is sized properly)
Add plants so they can compete with the algae for nutrients.
Make sure your UV is rated sufficiently for how much water you are pushing through it. Certainly make sure that the UV bulb is lit. There should be a window somewhere on the casing so you can have a look.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Denny. Welcome!! I agree with Mitch's comments above. Algae is a direct result of more nutrients than your pond can handle. I always know when my pond cycles because the hair algae dissapears almost overnight. An easy thing to do is reduce feeding. Almost no one recommends 10 minutes worth of food. Usually enough food for 2-3 minutes of eating is plenty. If you are worried they are not eating enough you can increase the number of times per day you feed them. It's very common that what works for your pond when your fish are smaller doesn't always work later on when they have grown.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! I only feed every other day or so and just once. They get a lot of food from the pond.

denny

Winter in PA
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi Denny. Welcome!! I agree with Mitch's comments above. Algae is a direct result of more nutrients than your pond can handle. I always know when my pond cycles because the hair algae dissapears almost overnight. An easy thing to do is reduce feeding. Almost no one recommends 10 minutes worth of food. Usually enough food for 2-3 minutes of eating is plenty. If you are worried they are not eating enough you can increase the number of times per day you feed them. It's very common that what works for your pond when your fish are smaller doesn't always work later on when they have grown.[/QUO

Ask a Question