Proceedures when buying a koi from a private owner

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
When buying your koi from a private owner here are a few rules of thumb that you must stick to otherwise it may end up with you loosing more than you purchaced.

Take a good look at not only the koi you are there to buy from them but also at the other koi in the pond as one heck of a lot can be learned from observing the koi whilst in situ then ask yourself the followng questions

1) Is the koi swimming well and not sitting on the bottom.
2)Are there any other koi just sitting around on the bottom.
3) Does the koi or any other koi in the pond look ill in anyway.
4) Are the koi in anyway sporting sores damaged fins.eyes etc.

Next ask the owner to catch and bowl the koi for you (how he/she does this can give you invaluable information).koi should never leave the water to be bowled up for inspection

When bowled ask yourself the following questions.
1) Did the current owner bowl the koi without a struggle (this in itself can tell you alot).
2) Is the koi sporting any split or deformed or fungus tipped fins.
3) Are there any scales missing fro the koi.
4) Are there any parasites visable i;e Anchor Worm, Argulus, Leaches.
5) Does the koi look as though there is a whitish tinge to the skin.
6) Are the gills working at to rapid a rate or normal.
7) Are there any open sores on the koi or freshly healed ones.
8) Handle the koi checking for a normal mucus covering, if exessive (walk away now), exessive mucus can indicate a problem to little a problem pointing to water quality issues
9) Turn the koi on its side check the vent area, a reddened vent can indicate an internal viral or bacterial problem (walk away now).
Any of the above can indicate parasite problems (walk away now).

Next talk at length with the owner and ask him/her the following Questions.

1) How long has he owned the koi.
2) Where did he/she buy it from ( if the answer is ebay walk away now).
3) If not ebay then which Dealership did he/she buy it from.
4) What is the reason for the sale.
5) Has the koi had any health issues whilst in his/her care.(If so did they treat it themselves or bring in a member of the BKKS HSC committee in the for of an HLO if AKCA their equivulent if so what did they treat it for and when?.

Next Ask to look around the owners facilities i'e filters etc then ask yourself the following Questions.

1) Is he pond water clear.
2)What state the filters are in
3) Is there a UV-C.
4) Is there adiquate areation of the pond and filters.
5) Does he/she have a QT fascility (warning in no QT walk away).
6) Is there a strong Ammonia smell around the area.

The owner shouldn't mind if you ask him to test the water in front of you to check all is in order.

They shouldn't mind doing this.
1) Ammonia is negative, or within tolerance.
2)Nitrite is Negative, or within tolerence.
3) Nirtrate is Negative, or within tolerance.
4) PH is within normal Range.

If your koi has passed all the above and a purchase is agreed congratulations you have a new koi but remember just because it's passed all of the above doesnt mean it is home free QTing the koi when you get it back to home is a must it guarentees there will be nothing passed on to your own pond once the Qt period is over gently bag you koi for th shor journy to the pond float for 30 minutes and release ensuring that non of the QT water enters your pond.

Congratulations you have a new koi enjoy it with the rest of your koi.

One last thing now that the Koi Herpes Virus in in Europe the UK and the US.
Quaretining koi is vitally important because if this slips through the system then you can say goodbye to 80% of the koi in your pond the survivors would have to be destroyed.
Sadly Goldfish owners your not safe yourselves as there is another virus called the Goldfish Herpes Virus , though not as destructive still has the same outcome. :sad:

Dave

Reaction score
A lot of great info above, but I take a bit of offense to walking away if fish were from Ebay. We have several fish whom were purchased via Ebay. I *do* read feedback, and look closely at the pics, but to date, I havent had a regret yet, and yes, I do quarantine all new fish, regardless of where they are from. We have had a high loss rate/rate of sick fish when buying fish from local suppliers. Local is not always best.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to have been offensive it wasnt intentional I can assure you but sadly you take your risk buying from ebay and if you buy from there then I strongly suggest you check them out for costia and the like when they arrive.
In truth you only have the sellers say so that they are his koi and that they have been quarentined before hand because what you dont know is where they came from.
Quite alott come out via countrys having great problems with KHV and are sold on Ebay, you take the risk when you buy, recently a dear friend of mine introduced KHV into his pond in South Africa and paid the price with koi exported that way.
Bellow is a map of the spread of KHV thoughout Asia marked out in red

View attachment Map of KHV.bmp

Just click on the above.

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Anything is possible, from any seller, as far as a buyer would be concerned, thus the importance of using a good quarantine method. I have made several purchases from ebay, with no regrets. I didnt just go out and buy online. I did so after being frustrated with local sources. It was these local sources that taught me, the hard way, the importance of having a place to quarantine fish. I just think it was a bit unfair to simply use a blanket statement against all ebay sellers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Point taken just putting my point across to you of what can happen personally weve never had problems with any of the koi dealers here in the UK one such dealer our club trusted so much that we never quarentined our koi it soulds like these dealers are havng problems which is so sad as it can turn people against them .
Sadly the same can be said of Ebay

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
I really thought your post was very educational otherwise. I just didnt like a blanket statement. I will say tho IF purchasing via ebay, read feedback well, and look at the pictures WELL, and most definitely put the new fish into a QT.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I really thought your post was very educational otherwise. I just didnt like a blanket statement. I will say tho IF purchasing via ebay, read feedback well, and look at the pictures WELL, and most definitely put the new fish into a QT.

Totally in agreement there Thanx for good the good comment again sorry for the blanket statement.
Val and I have a rule of thumb that Val set in place and we stick to it no matter what and it works a treat for us :-.
When buying koi from dealerships, we look at the overall health of the koi, how its swimming i;e is it away from the other koi
We look for a washed out appearance,sores, damaged scales, eyes, fins,dead or dying koi ( you do see them) etc.
Basically much like this thread .........
Now it might well sound like us being paraniod I mean what can happen with a split fin, but if any of them show anything then we simply wont buy that koi or any of the other koi in that Vat .
Many a dealer has lost our trade because of this , it shows that in reality they are not on the ball with their koi .

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
I think like anyplace else, if someone is in the habit of selling sick fish, word gets around. We can't get through life in general without a certain amount of risk, so the only thing we can do is minimize it where we can. Unless a private pond, I can not get fish within an hour of me. Some people do well with Petsmart, and we do have one here, but they usually don't have anything at all. The garden centers, well, let's just leave it with the been there, done that. We learned the hard way about the importance of having a QT.

Ask a Question