Progress on my Pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
After a long winter with lots of snow, I finally am getting some more done on my stream and ponds. Bare liner is rather ugly!
My bog filter is in place and planted, even starting to grow and the water is now very clear, the green cloud that happened shortly after the ice melted is all gone.

bog and outlet.jpg

We've made several trips to a local abandoned quarry and have a pretty good stash of rock to work from. Yesterday and today, I rocked in our small waterfall.

waterfall progress.jpg

I've been moving rocks, stacking rocks, restacking rocks... I'm mostly happy with the waterfall now. The left side will have rockwork extending another 2 or 3 feet, mostly with large rocks, 75-150 pound ones. This will form the front edge of the little ridge the stream cuts through. The streambed above the falls will also be lined with layered rock and the hill to the right side also. It will work away from the pond sooner though. We may have to get another load or two, it's hard to judge how far what we have will go. The walls and hollow behind the falls amplifies the sound nicely already.
pond with waterfall progress.jpg

The overview, off to the left, shows some of the rocks I tried and didn't use, yet. I've developed a nice design for a pond edging that fits under the turf or rocks and extends down into the pond a few inches. I've made a few pieces for the upper pond, which really improved it's look. In the next week or so, I'll make some more, to use on this pond.

I'm really happy to be working on this again, I just love doing the scenery part!

Steve

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
looks great!

Curious, what pump did you use? Just thought the water coming down the water fall is not so much compare to the volume of the pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
may look like more once rocks are put in as the water going over the waterfall looks OK

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
A few answers! The pump is 1360 gph, probably more like 1200 with the 2 1/2' of lift. The ponds are smaller than the photo makes it look like, it's a very wide angle lens I used. The larger pond is about 750 gallons and the smaller, upper pond is around 250 gallons. I haven't finished herding the water where I want it on the waterfall, 1/4-1/3 is trickling around the edges and down the rock face behind the falls. That won't get fixed until I'm ready to use the next can of foam.

I'll eventually be adding a skimmer at the end of the lower pond. It will have about another 400 gph pump with a separate pipe, which is already laid. I have the pump and have tested the increased flow, which adds a lot.

The bog filter gravel has a layer of heavy weed barrier with lots of slots for roots. On top of this is 3" of coconut coir. This keeps it out of the pea gravel. So far, it's worked really well, except, today. I discovered the first downside. I've noticed fist sized holes dug in it for the last few days. Today I found that robins were stealing it for nest material, BAH! So, for nesting season, another layer of weed barrier with cutouts for the plants and a lot of rocks to hold it down.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yeh if I put quilt batting on top of my filters the birds steal pieces of that also,so know what you mean :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Think of it this way you are providing housing for the in need and only thing is you get nothing in return except bird poop:):LOL:

Ask a Question