proper stocking

Reaction score
My pond is 250 gallons and there seems to be a bot of arguing between the local pond shops as to how many koi i can have. some are saying 3 once full grown or up to as many as 9 in the smaller sizes (4-6 inches)...

they grow pretty fast right? im guessing 4... what is you guy's vote?

Reaction score
i would go with 3 full grown...but just last week i saw a 100 gall pond with 1 24" bekko and 2 12" comets...so its only a recomendation that you have 3 full grown koi...as long as your filter can handle it and you keep the water quality good

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Not to be different, But that's why I choose Shubunkins. First off they aren't as expensive as koi, second they can have the coloration of the Koi, and third they don't get as big as Koi. I have three 8", and two 3" Shubunkins in my 265 gallon pond, and they have plenty of room to grow and be healthy.

I bought three small Koi about four years ago and put them in my 60 gal. pond and right away they became racoon food. I was quite upset. About a year and a half ago we replaced our 4' fence with a well made 6' vinal fence. Now the coons can't get in the yard because they can't get a hold on the vinal fence like they could with the wood fence. The only thing I would be concerned about now is something flying over that find my pond inviting.

Reaction score
We just got back from the nursery and we have our eyes on three 4 inch koi. Not sure what kind. One is black with orange sides and fins the next is orange with black on his head and the last is gold. We are hoping the markings won't change to much but we will see. Just ordered 50 tons of stone to build our patio waterfall and encase the performed pond. We have three filters that will be on the pond. The one that came with the waterfall a pond master 190 and the 44 gallon that we're building. We think that should be enough!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If you have a pond in the range of 1000 gallons and up and you have a great bio filter that is free flowing and easily cleaned and you have good circulation in the pond (no dead spots) you can push the envelope on how many fish you can have in your pond. By the way, big rocks in the pond create dead spots. I have never lost a fish in over 40 years and my pond is overstocked if you believe these articles.

That said, these articles are written because a lot of ponders that don't have larger ponds with good filtration, circulation, and areation are convinced they have to have a lot of fish to make their investment payoff. These are the targets of these guidelines.

I go to one the local importers of Japanese Koi to visit regularly. His tanks have 50 times the safe amount in them and the fish are in better health than most ponds. Why? His water is moving through massive filters at a rate of 10 water exchanges an hour or more. I have never seen more lively Koi than at his warehouse.

So if you have a tiny preformed pond, heed the advice in these guidlines, if you have a large pond with all the above working for you, use your head when buying that "one more koi" to add to your collection.

Ask a Question