addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have spent the last few weeks scraping our hive boxes getting ready for nectar flow. In doing that I have ended up with a bunch of propolis, not cleaned, will have some bee parts, a bit of wax etc in it.

But I have read the way to use it is to dissolve it in alcohol.

For those of you that have koi and might want to make your own healing propolis mixture, you might want some of this stuff.

If there is any interest let me know. I could send some in the mail, at the cost of a stamp. I have around 1/2 of a coffee can of the stuff, loosely packed. Still have around 9 hive bodies to scrape.

Post interest here, later I will gather addresses etc via pm's.

I need to see how much would be needed to make a mixture to know how much to send to a person. That will drive how many people it can be sent to.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I'd be interested @addy1 but somehow I doubt whether or not UK customs would let it through or not

Dave 54

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'd be interested @addy1 but somehow I doubt whether or not UK customs would let it through or not

Dave 54
lol we could ship it as a whatever, it is light, I have a whole container of it. I hate just tossing it

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What is it?
The bees gather sap etc from plants, it is a gooey mess they glue the hive together with.
A lot of fish keepers use it to cure stuff on koi. People use it also dissolved in alcohol, dried etc

Read this better than me typing it out.............lol. Hands are worn out.

https://draxe.com/bee-propolis/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It looks like I might have to send you several bucks! Once you are done doing all your bee work, I’ll buy some. I’d like to see if it works as well as they say it does, I’m very into natural cures for problems that big pharmaceutical companies charge too much for.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It looks like I might have to send you several bucks! Once you are done doing all your bee work, I’ll buy some. I’d like to see if it works as well as they say it does, I’m very into natural cures for problems that big pharmaceutical companies charge too much for.
Mine is not cleaned, I think they process it by putting in alcohol, It is free, just pay for postage. Can send you a envelope full for a stamp............it is pretty light in weight. I have a small coffee can full of it.
I have to scrape it off the hive boxes so the frames fit. They fill every gap with it, during the summer it is gooey like a very good sticky glue that never hardens. Hard to pry the boxes apart.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Lol, I was thinking I might request a small Manila envelope of some. From what I was reading on it, it’s good for humans too. I’d try a spoon full, dose the dogs food, cats food, pond and aquarium! But first, I need running water. We had to tell the plumber to skip us this morning, and he ended up with a difficult job that’s kept him all day, boss called with a task for us first thing tomorrow, so maybe the plumber can get to us tomorrow after lunch. Grrr.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
here is a write up about cleaning it. Mine is from scrapping the honey supers. I leave the hive bodies alone.
from the net:
One way these contaminants can be removed from the propolis by soaking the scrapings in a pail of water. Dead bees, pieces of wood and bees wax will tend to float while the propolis will tend to sink, allowing the beekeeper to separate out the majority of contaminants.

Another way to clean propolis hive scrapings is to place the propolis scrapings into an oven-proof container. The scrapings are covered with two to three inches of water and placed in an oven at 200°F. The contents of the container should be baked for at least two hours and stirred often in order to release any wax that may be trapped within the mass of propolis. The melted wax, pieces of wood, etc., will float to the surface of the water while the propolis will stick to the bottom of the container. After the container is removed from the oven and cooled, the waxy layer on the surface of the water can be removed and the water carefully poured off to reveal the colored propolis mass beneath it. The container of propolis can then be frozen and when the propolis is brittle, it can be chipped out of the container. The cleaned propolis pieces should be spread out on a sheet of paper or cardboard to dry before placing then into storage.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a lot, we get it all of the time. It is not cleaned, bits of wax bee parts etc. I can send you a nice large envelope of it, or a box

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just pm me your address and real name. It is real lite in weight I can stuff a envelope with it. Or stuff a small priority box with it, around $6 something to ship.

Ask a Question