Pros and cons of rocking the interior?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Watching the Pond Digger series on YouTube, he's all about rocking the whole inside of the pond. It looks gorgeous... but so expensive. The DIY pond place near me suggests not rocking the interior at all. What are the reasons to go one way or the other?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
One more 'Pro' - It protects the liner from the sun/UV (so, in theory it should help the liner last longer) Also, if you have koi they LOVE sucking on the gravel (fish enrichment anyone?)

Hmmm..... I guess that was two more pros. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
All are very valid points - both pros and cons. One con to a bare liner bottom - if you get in, it is super slick!!!!
In the end, it comes down to preference and budget. Which do you like the look of? If you like a fully rocked pond best, is it in the budget?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I will say in the beginning the rocks were pretty slick too... climbing in was a big of a slip and slide, and we built our pond with the idea of being ABLE to climb in and out. However, as time as gone on, the algae on the rocks is so dense and thick that it's like we have carpeted rocks. No more slipping!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I will say in the beginning the rocks were pretty slick too... climbing in was a big of a slip and slide, and we built our pond with the idea of being ABLE to climb in and out. However, as time as gone on, the algae on the rocks is so dense and thick that it's like we have carpeted rocks. No more slipping!
I've never found the gravel on the bottom to be slippery, but the larger, flat rocks? Yes!! They started slick & are still slick today (almost 10 years later) I just know not to step on them when I'm in there wallowing around.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
One other disadvantage is the rocks give sediment somewhere to lock up and keep from being sucked into the drains or skimmer in a bald liner the larger fish will constantly stur it up like they we a vacuum.
But IM ALL ABOUT THE ROCKS . ABOUT THE ROCKS. ABOUT THE ROCKS. CAUSE IM ALL ABOUT THE ROCKS

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Another 'pro' of rocking in is that it potentially protects the liner from the claws of any wading critters. I say 'potentially' because if you have gravel like mine, you may need to make sure there are no sharp bits that could puncture the liner if trod upon.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Con - if you want to vacuum the bottom of the pond using a pond-vac, having rocks will make it more difficult. However, not everyone feels a need to vacuum the bottom of the pond. I think my obsession to vacuum the bottom of the pond comes from my aquarium days. It has taken me years to realize that a pond is not an aquarium. ;)

Reaction score
Country
United States
So to summarize, it sounds like 1. most of y'all rock the inside, 2. it's overall better to rock the inside, but 3. it's not terrible if you don't have the money, time, or strength to rock the inside. Have I missed anything?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So to summarize, it sounds like 1. most of y'all rock the inside, 2. it's overall better to rock the inside, but 3. it's not terrible if you don't have the money, time, or strength to rock the inside. Have I missed anything?

That pretty much sums it up, I think. "Better" might be a bit subjective, though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Some do believe it's better because the rocks and gravel provide countless surfaces for good bacteria to colonize, so there is that to consider as well. And honestly I just prefer the look of a rocked pond.

I've never found the gravel on the bottom to be slippery,

Never the gravel, no. But the rocks on the way down - yup. I had a few "quick entries" in the early days!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used non epdm liner, it is not slick, no rocks, never missed them, bottom has some algae growth. Easy to walk in, easy to net up debris, when I feel like it.

I had rocks in my AZ pond, they were a pita imho. String algae had a great time growing in the muck that collected.

My liner looks like a natural pond bottom, without rocks lol.

Ask a Question