Protecting pond liner

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello Again, Due to my dubious pond construction skills, a good bit of liner is exposed to the elements above the waterline - picture attached. This was due to the fact that my yard is sloped, so the grade leaves the high end on the liner exposed. I am looking into digging down the high end and re-installing the high side with a step in the flagstones, but I am not planning to re-dig where my stream enters the pond. So, what solutions are there to protect the 12-18 inches of exposed liner at the high side of the pond? The flagstones will overhang as much as possible and we plan to have hanging plants (like creeping Jenny?) on the pond edge. Is there some kind of fabric I can wedge under the flagstones edging of the pond that would have down and hide/protect the liner? Maybe something more organic looking like burlap? I appreciate any suggestions, advice, or questions. Thanks!

Attachments

• 2EB87DAF-C204-4023-8DFA-67375B9EEAB4.jpeg
    2EB87DAF-C204-4023-8DFA-67375B9EEAB4.jpeg
    239.9 KB · Views: 36
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
or you can use coco coir and if you let it dangle into the water, it'll wick water up and any plants you can 'grow' on it will survive. I've done this. Over time though, the coir will deteriorate but it takes a while. You can also make 'nets' from screening and putting some gravel or even soil (have the nets be just above the water line) you can plant something to grow up in front of the liner. You'll have to make sure they get watered or, you can actutally lower the net a bit INTO the water and then plant something like impatiens which love moist soil.

Another idea, though more costly and laborious, would be to place something to make a shelf just below the surface level, in front of your liner, then you can stack rock on it and hide the liner. Could use wood too, depending on your vision.

Reaction score
Country
United States
or you can use coco coir and if you let it dangle into the water, it'll wick water up and any plants you can 'grow' on it will survive. I've done this. Over time though, the coir will deteriorate but it takes a while. You can also make 'nets' from screening and putting some gravel or even soil (have the nets be just above the water line) you can plant something to grow up in front of the liner. You'll have to make sure they get watered or, you can actutally lower the net a bit INTO the water and then plant something like impatiens which love moist soil.

Another idea, though more costly and laborious, would be to place something to make a shelf just below the surface level, in front of your liner, then you can stack rock on it and hide the liner. Could use wood too, depending on your vision.
Thank you. I appreciate the idea, but am having a hard time picturing it. When I look up coco coir it looks like soil blocks. How do you dangle it? I am new to all this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thank you. I appreciate the idea, but am having a hard time picturing it. When I look up coco coir it looks like soil blocks. How do you dangle it? I am new to all this.
it's also sold in a roll/sheet rolled up. I think it's 2' by 3', maybe a bit less. It's been awhile.

Just googled; it's narrower and longer.

coco coir

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
An other choice is Non woven needle punch fabric" geotechnical fabric it is black like you are use to looking at and will not break the bank. Looks like your area is pretty dry. But fabric can also alow plants to get a foot hold like the creping jenny or moss and can make a negative into a positive

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
All great ideas!
I like the cocoa mat or mesh idea to encourage plant or moss growth.

This is probably a little more work, but this is what I have done...
Make a series of steps or shelves in the soil under the liner. Lay the liner back down on the shelves. Cover with scraps of liner, underlayment or other protective material so your liner doesn't get damaged.

Stack stones on the shelves like a brick wall for strength. Some of the stones will be partially submerged and you will have a more natural edge.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Have to disagree only for the long term effect. The coco mats look great work well for a couple years the Needle punch fabric will last for ever. Just as the coco mat gets established with the moss or vegetation it will start falling apart. If not for that i would lean toward it too. And then there is the cost as well the fabric is way cheaper. the coco mats are always in high demand with gardeners. Do the fabric and then do touches with the coco mats that would look cool.
In the video below at 1:15 when the camera pans left of the hobbit log waterfall. At the end of the log below the character boulder that is on the left of the main falls the area below the the boulder is the fabric.and trust me its not hard to get just about anything to grow there. Creeping jenny water cress , moss, wild orchid just to name a few grow very well there.

Last edited:

Ask a Question