PROTECTING THINGS LIKE AIR HOSES IN WINTER COLD

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I didn't have an air pump going last winter, but have since added one. Have 3 air stones spread throughout the pond. The pump I have uses a 1/2" hose, but then there is a little manifold thing with several nipples so you can attach the standard "aquarium-size" air line tubing to run to your various stones. This is what I'm doing for the pond and QT.

I'm wondering if this type of air line tubing [clear, "aquarium" tubing] will survive the exposure of cold weather [which might be an occasion low in the 20's and a water temp in the high 30's]. What I have going to the pond from the pump is enclosed in PVC pipe as a conduit to protect it from lawn mowers & foot traffic.

Any thoughts on this, or suggestions? If I need to make any changes, this is a good time to do it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use 3/4 irrigation hose to take the air to the pond. All I do is put that hose into that gray foam wrap you put around pipes. Mainly because the warm air coming out of the air pump has a bit of moisture, without the protection it could potentially start a little ice dam. My line has to run around 30 feet to one pond, then another 20 feet to reach the ponds from the air pump. With the shubbie tank I will have another branch running around 20 feet to reach it from the pump

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have the clear and as long as you have the check valve in place so that condensation does not back up it is fine .But I found mice chewed through one of mine

Reaction score
What is the goal with adding all this air? Cold water already holds more oxygen and the fish consume less when it is cold. All you will really be doing is making the water colder.

Reaction score
Actually, cold water has the "capacity" to hold more oxygen than warmer water, it doesn't necessarily always hold more oxygen.
If a pond is covered in ice, and has no exposure to the air, and the fish and bacteria action are consuming the oxygen in the water under the ice, you will need some way to replenish that oxygen eventually. Also hydrogen sulphide can build up in an ice covered pond (from bacteria) and it's good to have some way of allowing it to off-gas.

Reaction score
You think the pond could freeze over with a water temp in the high 30's? Highly unlikely. I know you just want to disagree with everything I say but you will have to do much better than that. There really is no need to introduce air in the low 20 degree range in this case.

Mucky_Waters said:
Actually, cold water has the "capacity" to hold more oxygen than warmer water, it doesn't necessarily always hold more oxygen.
If a pond is covered in ice, and has no exposure to the air, and the fish and bacteria action are consuming the oxygen in the water under the ice, you will need some way to replenish that oxygen eventually. Also hydrogen sulphide can build up in an ice covered pond (from bacteria) and it's good to have some way of allowing it to off-gas.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thing is what he is saying is in general for all areas and plus with the strange weather lately you never know what could happen .Look at the 2010 winter we had ,I went from almost 70 degrees to a blizzard and 10 degree weather that night and the most snow I have seen in 10 years of being here .Then there was snow after snow and cold temps that lasted and so did the snow .Our snow is lucky it makes it until noon after a snow .It melts fast .The you never know after that I bought a pond heater and never thought I would need one here .

Reaction score
dieselplower said:
You think the pond could freeze over with a water temp in the high 30's? Highly unlikely. I know you just want to disagree with everything I say but you will have to do much better than that. There really is no need to introduce air in the low 20 degree range in this case.
Actually I agree with you, Mmathis would never likely get much ice on her pond, and probably wouldn't need much extra air circulation. When she said "I'm wondering if this type of air line tubing [clear, "aquarium" tubing] will survive the exposure of cold weather [which might be an occasion low in the 20's and a water temp in the high 30's]" I automatically assumed those were Celsius temps. I'm not use to people referring to those temps as cold. And I couldn't really see much need for extra hose protection either, an occasional drop to 20 F is considered a light frost around here. Mind you it's not gona hurt much to have extra circulation either.

Happy now? :beerchug:

Of course everything I said is still true for those who's pond freezes in the winter.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I figure better to be safe than sorry .My brother lives in Michigan and the 2010 winter he lost all his fish and his pond was over 4 feet deep no heater and no aerator .He had his pond for 5 years and he told me don't need it and that winter he called and he and his wife were upset that they lost them .The got a hole in the ice with hot pans but it seemed to be to late .Got a heater and waited but no luck they were all gone .He has since took it out and put in a pondless water feature .He said they can't go through that again .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
same thing it cools the water too and probably more so .But that said I use a water pump too so guilty as charged :bye2:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use a aerator, stick it in the mid of the pond, the fish do fine. The pond water was around 37-38 all winter. (deep end) The aerator kept the mid portion of the pond open, both ends froze. The shubbie tank (no fish) froze down 8 inches. Somewhat mild winter too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I always thought the purpose of the air stone was to keep a hole in the ice so harmful gasses don't build up under the ice and kill your fish. Moving water keeps a hole in the ice and the air bubbles move the water.

I have an air pump made for indoor aquariums and the clear plastic tubing. Two winters so far and no issues. The first winter I did not protect the pump or tubing in any way from the elements and no issues. Last winter I had my cheap air pump go out during a deep freeze. I ran to the store bought a new one, hooked it up and poured hot water on the ice to open the hole back up. This time I put the pump in a plastic container.

This year I have a decorative hollow rock sitting over the air pump and I will likely leave it as is. But the clear plastic tubing has never received any special treatment and is still going strong.

I put the air stone around 12" to 18" deep in the winter so there is more movement at the surface. In the summer it sits at the bottom around 40" deep.

The air stone keeps a hole pretty well. We get as cold as 0 here in the winter. But can go up to a couple months without getting above freezing.
DSCN3313_zps30789ce0.jpg

Reaction score
pecan said:
I always thought the purpose of the air stone was to keep a hole in the ice so harmful gasses don't build up under the ice and kill your fish. Moving water keeps a hole in the ice and the air bubbles move the water.
There is basically only one harmful gas, that I know of, that can commonly build up in a pond, and that is hydrogen sulfide (H2S). But H2S generally only forms in ponds that are depleted of oxygen, thus the need to make sure your water is well oxygenated to prevent H2S from forming in the first place.
http://www.nfkc.info/Hydrogen Sulfide.htm

Ask a Question