pruning lillies from outside the pond??

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
this year i have the slickest film on my liner... i should bottle this stuff and sell it as an oil additive,puts slick 50 and duralube to shame. found out this morning when i wanted to go in and do some pruning. i sat on the edge put my feet on the floor and tried for 10 minutes to stand up and the only thing i accomplished was sending a couple of edge rocks to the bottom.(lucky they were smooth and round). i did this catching myself from a early morning swim. what do you guys use for pruning when you cant enter the pond? last year i got in and walked around trouble free, this year i cant even get standing up!!

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
see i told you it was dangerous in them there ponds !!! :icon_smile:
you can buy long handled scissors meant for ponds .... but me i just hang over the egde and cut bits as far as i can reach

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i was gonna put them all back on the plant shelves this morning but all the stems are inertwined between the plants so i have to be in the pond to untangle them. once theyre on the shelve i can reach in and prune.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I bought the pond sicssors this year ,,,3ft long they will pull the leaves out too

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Try putting just socks on your feet. I have the same problem and was able to walk all around my pond without slipping once.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I wear waders sometimes, especially if the water is cold. They have grippers on the feet that help. I still enter very carefully. A fall could get you a head injury and cause you to drown if you are not careful.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Waders are great unless you fall and they fill with water! I also make it a habit to shut the power down to anything in the pond if I'm going in. We had a pump develope a low voltage leak that didn't trip the breaker but fried the fish and I've heard of several more cases similar. Not worth the risk.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
That is why you should have GFCI. With it properly installed, you cannot get shocked much less electocuted. Any leakage will be seen as a short and the GFCI will immediatley trip.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I have installed an exterior four outlet GFCI box next to my pond when I was setting it all up. The box that it is in is water resistant, and proved to be a smart investment for my pond. No more extention cords to be moved or in the way. The electricity to my pond is hooked up to a fifteen amp breaker in my garage. That way I can flip the breaker if I have to remove the filter pump or repair anything else electrical.

Ask a Question