Pump Advice Please.

Reaction score
Hi after sorting out an earlier problem I now seek advice from an unbiased source.
pond size small 2.5Mtrs x 1Mtr x 700mm deep can I have some advice as to what pump/ filter I will need just to keep the water healthy and clear. will it need a pump and external filter set or something like an Oase 6000 combined submerged pump filter.
Thanks.
Dennis

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
You will need to have a pump that runs through the volume of the pond each hour, approximately.
Do you plan to have fish in the pond? If so, do you know about the nitrogen cycle?
If you plan to have fish, you will need some kind of mechanical and bio filter.
Generally, people in this forum don't recommend filters like the Oase 6000? Commercial filters like that are usually inadequate and difficult to maintain, in spite of what their manufacturers say. It's quite easy to build a DIY filter which is much more effective.
But tell us more about your pond, as much as you can.

Reaction score
Hi John, thankyou for responding so quickly.
The pond is only going to have goldfish (no Koi in a pond this small) not sure about if the oxygenator plants and other aquatic plants will help along with the snails regarding the nitrogen cycle.
I have seen on youtube an American video of showing a homemade filter system but it did not include any UVC bulb.
I am not a qualified electrician but a more than competent handy man.
Dennis

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
- Plants will help, but they also create waste.
- You can find many DIY videos on Youtube but the most efficient filters are moving media filters using K1 or K2, etc.
- Many ponders, including myself don't use UV bulbs. Once your pond becomes balances, you don't need UV. The pond will take care of the algae. And if your pond is not balanced, the algae will soak up the toxins.
- If your pond is brand new, you will need to run some power out to it.

Do you have any pics of your pond?

Ask a Question